Fuel Pump Baffle

ThunderDave

I'm getting ready to put in a new fuel pump and I read that the baffle should be remove and replaced with high presure hose. Does this allow a better fuel flow and what does the baffle do anyway?

Thanks,
David

According to the walk through of replacing the fuel pump done by Rich at www.mn12performance.com, the fuel pump baffel uses rubber seals that can not be replaced. These seals will leak causing a reduction in pressure. Thus the replacement of the baffel with a hose solves the issue.

Rich says a 5/16" high pressure fuel line will do the trick.

mike what will happen if i got reduction in pressure i will have to keep my eyes out.funny thing is my buddy is a ford mechanic at freedom ford that put it in and he didn't say anything about that.

I believe the concern is that at stock pressures, the stock baffel seal will be fine. It's just with the higher pressure pumps we add that it could become an issue.

As far as what would result from it leaking... I would guess it's just going to be a loss of pressure and possibly fuel flow. On a stock car it might not be that big of an issue. But on a high performance motor you have to watch out for a lean condition 3/4 of the way into the quarter mile.

You can buy replacement baffles (pulse dampers) if you want. I think the dealer would have it. But I think it's just for noise reduction purposes anyway ... I could be wrong. I replaced my fuel pump last year with a standard pump, and I cut out the damper. No problem.

S_Mazza said:
You can buy replacement baffles (pulse dampers) if you want. I think the dealer would have it. But I think it's just for noise reduction purposes anyway. No problem.

So the baffle cuts down on the amount of hum from the pump? Or does it have a more mechanical purpose? I'm not putting it back in, but was just wondering what it did. I didn't know if it maybe restricted the fuel flow some, as every other thing on the car has some sort of restriction.

David

I don't think it's too restrictive. From what I hear, the issue is that it could bleed off pressure. From what I have read, it has dual purposes - first to quiet the pump, and second to ensure more even fuel delivery by smoothing out the pulses created by the pump and the firing of injectors. So maybe it's a good thing. Many cars have them, even Corvettes ... this link (http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/html/intank_install_tips.html) shows one from a GM.

Uh oh, that link is making me paranoid ... specifically this quote:
If you need to use a piece of fuel hose inside your tank, be sure it is SAE J30R10 spec hose. That hose is high pressure fuel hose that was designed to be immersed in fuel. DO NOT use fuel hose that is designed for inline use only [SAE J30R9]. It will not survive inside the tank.

I wonder what spec that hose I used is ... oh well. :rolleyes:

baffled

Yeah, I hope you used the right hose. I'll be sure to get some of the high pressure before I put it back in.

Thanks,

David

if it is too quite the pump it sure works cuz i don't hear my 190 pump in my sc,but i put a 240 pump in my sho and that one is loud.hear it humming all the time.my sho must not have baffles.

Back