car feels slugish after a/c fix

Jake

I have owned this car for 3 years now and never had a/c in it until now. The car always felt like it had a vac leak but now that I fixed the a/c it feels like it wants to stall when i'm slowing down. Does the computer go through a relearning stage or would a vac leak cause that?

Jake,
You might have to disconnect your battery to clear the computer. It might then pick up your AC when it powers back on. Just an idea, worked on another car I had (not an SC). A vac leak would cause it to low idle also.
Flip

The idle air control will just add more air around the throttle butterfly to increase idle when the A/C compressor is engaged to compensate for the additional load. If you have a vacuum leak this just makes the situation worse.

Jerry

Now the pump is cycling every ten seconds? Is it low on coolant and how much R134a should I put in? Thanks

Jake said:
Now the pump is cycling every ten seconds? Is it low on coolant and how much R134a should I put in? Thanks
Jake,
I'm having similar problems with my AC compressor. It seems to be cycling a lot more than it should be. Almost a rapid on\off\on\off at times. My AC is still the R12. I have also noticed that when the AC is on, or the compressor is activated with the defroster, the car seems to run rough almost as if it has a slight stumble which goes away when I turn the AC off. Have you found out anything? I made sure my system was fully charged, but it didn't seem to make any difference as to how often the compressor cycled.

I found out that it was leaking alot of R134a out behind the dash board, that caused the compressor to cycle on and off about every 5 seconds. This isn't my daily driver so I'm gonna take all the a/c stuff out and just race it.

Jake said:
I found out that it was leaking alot of R134a out behind the dash board, that caused the compressor to cycle on and off about every 5 seconds. This isn't my daily driver so I'm gonna take all the a/c stuff out and just race it.
There's unfortunately, only 1 way that can happen and that is through a leaking evaporator. To replace the evap you have to pull the entire dash out which is a big job.

A leaky evap is what killed my compressor and to fix it I replaced essentially the entire A/C and recharged with r134a. The reasons why, the decisions made, and all the work I did is too much to discuss in this message. Search in the forums if you ever decide to fix it. :cool:

redknight said:
It seems to be cycling a lot more than it should be. Almost a rapid on\off\on\off at times. My AC is still the R12.... I made sure my system was fully charged, but it didn't seem to make any difference as to how often the compressor cycled.
You have some obstruction in the condenser or the Otube. About the only way that happens is if the compressor has blown its rings (aka black death).. That, and the fact that the car bogs down when the A/C comes on, hints strongly that the compressor is about to completely sieze up. You should be able to rotate the compressor clutch plate (not the pulley, but the center part) by hand. If the compressor is locked up or nearly so, its time to replace it. Its not something which can be fixed. If the system were simply low on refrigerant, it might cycle rapidly, but wouldn't bog the engine down.

You aren't getting any cold air either, are you?

Oh, and if the compressor should sieze, just unplug it until you fix it.

Hope this helps. :cool:

there is also a pressure switch that you can adjust so that the compressor turns on at different pressures. I had to adjust mine after i converted. Now it stays on too long and actually freezes up the evap. and frost blows out the vents. Once it defrosts, its super cold again. Been working great for 2 years now. I did however take the whole system apart, drain the old oil, and flush everything out with a/c flush. But that pressure switch might be set to be on all the time, or set that it cylces too much. Its on the acculmlator, take off the plug and there is a set-screw in there. Just a thought, might work, might not.

Back