Harmonic Balancer Opinion (pic)

SC UL8R1990

i purchased a $500 SC with a broken H.Balancer. Does this break look like what many have experienced? Let me know what you guys think......it looks like all of it came off so i guess thats good?? :rolleyes: :D :cool: Also where can i start looking to buy a new balancer? it's a 1989 AOD.

thanks guys, lets save an SC!

Attachments

• hbalancerpicture2223413245234532.GIF
    hbalancerpicture2223413245234532.GIF
    72.2 KB · Views: 327
That is exactly where they all break. Poor design for the application. Just look at all that weight hanging out there with the double steel pulley, plus all the tension from the belts. That aluminum hub just isn't strong enough. IMHO spend the extra $$ and buy a BHJ all steel balancer. Source a vendor on this site for one. Then use an aluminum underdrive pulley set mainly for less weight. If you go with the BHJ you will need to either buy the zero balanced pulley set or spend $ to have your stock pulley balanced to zero. The reason is that the Ford balancer AND pulley are balanced and sold together as a set so you just can't mix and match stock balancers and pulleys. John

Last edited:
i dunno if i want to shell out the money, its only a $500 sc. Id rather slap the ford one on for $153.00 to see if it runs. then maybe think about putting one on.

If it lasted 160k miles on this sc i think itll be allright for a $500 car.

thanks for the quick reply. opinions still welcome

If you can buy one for $150 do it, and please tell me where you found one so cheap. Mine broke in the same place. I bought another Ford balancer the original lasted 15 years so hard to complain really. Buy a 98 Mustang V6 bolt and washer when you get the balancer.

Jerry

I agree with Shockwave, buy the Ford balancer if you can get a new one for 150.00. When I got my BHJ, the price for one from Ford was 275.00, and I'm of the opinion that they may be more than that now. I hear rumors that they are no longer available, may still be some in local stock. My main reason for going BHJ was that this is one of the failures that will leave you stranded beside the road, and that's the last thing I want in my rural area, miles from howhere at 120 degrees. For me cost wasn't the issue, peace of mind was. Also, I believe that a 5 speed car that is shifted agressively in racing etc., is much harder on the balancer than an auto. Good luck, John

I think severe engine miss causes them to break, but I can't prove it. My nephew broke his when the crank sensor was going out. Mine broke after a headgasket failure. Running on 4-5 cylinders and bad misfires puts a lot of shock load on balancer.

I would change the crank sensor while you are there. It may have contributed to the failure.

Jerry

I hope the price turns out to be correct for you. I looked over the site and am a little confused about their pricing. To my knowledge all the balancers from 89-93 are the same (except the very early 89 duracast crank balancer may be balanced diff but I don't think so). 94-95 are definately different. They show 89-90 at the 153.00 and 91-93 are 296.00. I don't understand the difference in price for the same part. John

IF thats the right price for the balancer please let me know. Mine broke and the stock they told me will be $423 and some odd cents. The cheapest crank shaft sensor i could find was through napa for $71 It sucks my baby bein sick. She's been out of service for 2 months now.

Back