Blown head gasket ? -- How to tell ?

blksc

Can a kind sole tell me how to affirm that my heads are blown without taking the heads off. The motor oil doesnt have any coolant in it, its dirty but not creamy looking. The engine spins, but no spark is being delivered to the coil -- I tested with a spark tester. please help..

Classic HG symptoms=clouds of white smoke from the exhaust,coolent running out the tailpipes,exhaust smells like coolent,excessive engine temp[car runs hot],bubbles in the rad overflow,oil in the coolant/coolant in the oil,milky looking residue under the oil filler cap and in my case,oil blowing out the oil filler tube to name just a few.Sounds like you have a bad crank sensor..you said that you're not getting spark from the coil...does the upshift light on the dash stay on when you crank the motor?
z

oh ?

Yea those are all of the head gasket signs i knew of but the car didnt exactly fit all of those. Anyhow i didnt think to look at the upshift light. Will the crank sension keep the car from sending a spark at all ?

Yep,also check the Ignition fuse in the underhoood fuse box..when my crank sensor blew it took the fuse w/ it or vice versa..anyway,I had to replace both to get the car running again.The coil pack could be bad but I'd check the fuse and crank sensor first,not sure how to test the CPS on the car but I don't think blown hg's won't cause the car to lose spark,mine still started with bad hg's.The upshift light staying on during cranking is a sign of a bad CPS.
Good Luck,
z

thanks..

Unfortunately im going on a business trip for a week. will take a look at that crank sensor when i return.

Back