PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a problem here??

turboken
06-05-2004, 09:54 PM
Well, I just got my blower rebuilt, and had a 10% pully put on. I also had 2.5 inch pipe run from the stock manifolds to the magnaflow resonator, then 3 inch to the back (I have pics if wanted). It was sooooo loud. then, I had a 2.5 inch Y put in and put the stock mufflers back on. there is only about six inches of stock exhaust (2.25 inch) left before the muflers. This gave me 1 more PSI over the totally open exhaust. Is 11 PSI less than I should have ? I have a K&N cone, no cats, and a STOCK BLOWER BELT. I dont see or hear any signs of belt slip, but I expected a litte more boost than that. Now, It wont spin the tires from a dead stop anymore either. I don't want to just shell out $20 for a smaller belt unless i need it. If I had a boost leak, I figured that I would get a check engine light. Who knows. thanks for any input.

ken

sho taurus
06-05-2004, 11:26 PM
i have 10 % and not rebuilt supercharger(185,000 + miles) and no cats with stock exhaust and i make 14 psi.so i would say something wrong

cudaz101
06-06-2004, 06:05 AM
You need a shorter belt...Even with a wide open EXH. using a 10% pulley you should be getting alotta boost since you have no other intake mods to drop pressure...

There is nothing wrong, it is not like you are gonna break anything as it is right now...Just get a shorter belt and watch the boost rise and you will have your low end TQ. again...

Brad

turboken
06-06-2004, 02:35 PM
well, while putting a stock, non gatorback belt back on, I found that my tensioner for the SC was shot. With the belt on, I can loosen and tighten it by hand (wiggle it back and forth). I guess that is what I'll buy tomorrow to start with. And with the old wore out belt on, it only made 9 PSI now. Well see.....

6-11
duh, i should have just looked at the tensioner while the car was running... hehehe

turboken
06-17-2004, 01:19 AM
I replaced the jackshaft to supercharger tensioner and got a smaller belt. I would say I'm only getting 11.5 to 12 psi at 5000 rpm. the check enging light never comes on, and the car wont spin out any more. other than that, it runs/starts/drives fine. I couldn't even fetch a 98 v6 firebird. He's a buddy and he floored his around 65 from my back bumper, and when he was even, I floored it. it stayed in drive, and pulling up from 2400 I couldn't catch his 5 speed until I started creeping up on him around 110. I measured the pully and it is a 10%... I checked for boost leaks. Maybe this weekend, Ill pull the upper intercooler tube and reseal, or maybe the TB plenum, but i figured id be getting a CEL.......

tim
06-17-2004, 09:56 PM
I have a free flowing exhaust and intake, 5% pulley. The car makes 11.5 lbs of boost. When you free thing up the boost will go down.

turboken
06-17-2004, 10:38 PM
yeah, but with the pulley AND exhaust, you would think that it would have more power. It WON'T power break or do more than chirp the tires, no matter what (even floored around a corner!!!).

SCaddict
06-17-2004, 11:20 PM
I have a 10% overdrive pulley and a few other mods as you can see. I run about 11 or 12psi and I have the stock size belt without any slippage. I just bought a 3" tensioner pulley from Dayco and I have no worries. I noticed my power dropped off one day very badly that I could not even spin on WET pavement!! It turned out to be my balancer that broke and completly killed my power. I still had full boost and it still ran great just had no power at all. I would check that and see if it is wobbeling.