Immediate shifting upon clutch disengagement

Digitalchaos

I have observed that if I shift into 1st gear immediately after pushing the clutch pedal when the car is resting a clunk is heard from the transmission area and the car rocks slightly forward. If I wait 1 or 2 seconds, it goes into gear without issue. Additionally, the car does not move if the clutch pedal is held down while the transmission is in first.

Is this a normal occurance from the input shaft spinning down after the clutch is disengaged, or should the parts which normally rotate when the clutch is engaged instantly stop spinning?

Any info is appreciated..

yes the input shaft is still slowing down....however......mine does not jump forward. Sometimes its notchy getting into 1st gear until i stop, but never grinds or jumps.

Yes it's normal since part of the trans is still spinning. I have no syncros for 1st or second so I hit 3rd before trying to go to first from a stop.

Jeff

Thanks for the responses.

I had a feeling it might be somewhat normal, it just seems excessive. I should add its also requires slightly less pressure to engage the gear after waiting a couple seconds.

Is the clunk I am hearing normal? I can replicate it every time by pushing the shifter towards the position of first gear and applying pressure, but not atually engaging first.

Yes it's just the syncros engaging with the blocker rings. They are kind of splined and this is just lining things up so that the correct set of gears are in play if you will.

Jeff

Back