Can the SC be really fast????

91GreatWhiteSC

I was wondering if the SC can be really fast. I mean without dumping 10k into it. I mean you can buy an AWD Talon and put 5k into it and be into the 12s with it. Id like to build up a motor for street/strip use with some friends who actually know what they are doing and learn in the process but i want to know what it takes these cars to get going.... And how to prevent the Blowing of Headgaskets. Im also looking for a cheap SC motor. To learn on and build. Anyone wanna help out let me know if you have a SC motor that needs rebuilding or whatnot. Im being told that our cars are way to heavy and they are really hard to get to go fast. This was from people with DSM's Talon's Eclipse, etc...Thanks

Last edited:
91GreatWhiteSC said:
I was wondering if the SC can be really fast. I mean without dumping 10k into it. I mean you can buy an AWD Talon and put 5k into it and be into the 12s with it. Id like to build up a motor for street/strip use with some friends who actually know what they are doing and learn in the process but i want to know what it takes these cars to get going.... And how to prevent the Blowing of Headgaskets. Im also looking for a cheap SC motor. To learn on and build. Anyone wanna help out let me know if you have a SC motor that needs rebuilding or whatnot. Im being told that our cars are way to heavy and they are really hard to get to go fast. This was from people with DSM's Talon's Eclipse, etc...Thanks

That AWD Talon may be easier to get into low numbers at the track but then again that will also mean that it is much easier for everyone else and their brother to do the same thing and I think there is much respect for the SuperCoupe out there especially how fast it is with all that weight

of course people that dont drive SCs always gives you bad advice.

There are big differences between the 2. Years make a lot of difference, Also the TALON being an ECLIPSE you can easily interchange parts and can find cheap aftermarket parts also. The Thuderbird SC is a sleeper in my opinion.
You can easily dump 5k into it and get alot of power. If i had 5k i would of been done that.

I rather be pushed by 2 rear wheels that to be pulled by all 4, im not going Rallying either. I prefer that UMPH feeling when u smash the pedal.

American Muscle baby all the way.

Depends on how fast you want to go and what you consider as "fast". You can definately get into lower 1/4 mile track #'s with less money. If you are looking for cheapest way to get the lowest numbers, just go down to your local kawasaki dealer and pick up the 2004 ZX-10R. It's just 11k and can run stock in the low 10's. With another grand you can get into the mid 9's. Just be sure to buy a good helmet and leathers for protection :D

If your looking for ...

If you are looking for a really quick easy car to do, get what ever you want. If you want class, ride quality, the ability to actually drive in comfort, ride control, climate control, and aslew of other very nice options, then get an SC. They are 4000 lb cars!!!! You have to move that much weight. The torque that can be produced from these cars is AMAZING!!!! Nothing feels like an SC and that's all I'll drive.

Don

Wait a year and for under 10 grand and a well maintained car you will easily be able to get into the 12's. The parts to do this are being tested right now by people willing to invest in moving the SC motors forward.

On the other hand, if you want to do it right now, beef up the rear end, throw a new transmission and a big block motor in the front, and you'll hit the 12's before you know it. And for well under 10 grand.

I am spending under ten grand total on my new setup....Car included..And I should definately be doing 12's(Bench Racing)

Just do it right the first time

what

why import? buy 87-89 5.0 fox body coupe and spend your $5000. Mustang street cars are in the 10's easy.

The 1/4 mile is just not one of the SC's strong points...you can add alot of power to the SC and make it fun, they have a "good seat of the pants" feel when you step on it.

91GreatWhiteSC said:

12's without dumping 10k into the car, probibly not. Sorry.

The sense of accomplishment for getting a 2 ton car that looks like grandma's "going to church on sunday car" into the 13's or 12's is rather priceless. None of us on the site work on getting this car fast because it's easy, far from it. But most if not all of us like the style and how the car drives. I know I didn't buy the car expecting to make it into a 12 second car, actually I would be happy with a 14 second car. I just like the car. If it was a 16 second car, I would still like it. Getting it fast is just something we enjoy doing, most of the time (not all).

So it's really up to you. It isn't easy and it isn't cheap, but it is rewarding in it's own right. I had a Hynduai excel in college, I could have made that thing fast but I didn't like that car, who would, so it wasn't worth it to me. I like my T-bird so I work on it.

Luckily for me and others there are sites like SCCoA and TCCoA and people that are willing to lend a hand and are free flowing with their knowledge.

If I had know better, 10 years ago I would have bought a Grand National when I had a chance. If I invested the cash I have tied up in my SC into the GN.......I would be a hell of a lot faster.

Quick OR Fast

91GreatWhiteSC said:
I was wondering if the SC can be really fast.
I took my '89 (5-spd) XR-7 to 157 mph on the German Autobahn when I was in the Air Force. Is that FAST enough for you?

However you seem to be asking if the SC can be QUICK. Quick is a relative term. Quick compared to What? Pretty slow compared to a AA/FD, but pretty quick compared to your average ricer. How Quick do you want to go with an SC? Low 14's are relatively easy to get. Just open up your wallet & buy the right parts!

68COUGAR

Thus far, i'm at about $6k, not counting the car itself, or the audio/video system either. add another 1K$ after its back together. They're not cheap, but it's fun eatin up unsuspecting prey. On another note, if I'm not low 13's/borderline 12's once all is done, i'm gettin a 200 shot n2o and looking for the 11's.

91GreatWhiteSC said:

Yes they can be made fast and it's getting cheaper to do every year. I don't think you will see 12s for $10K unless you use nitrous. It's not just the engine you have to work on, the exhaust system, the fuel system, cooling system, transmission and rear end need upgrading also.

You can find a good used engine for around $200. Most of the power will come from heads, cam and supercharger upgrades.

David

Back