rear caliper problems

oneloudsc

Hi i have a few ? s .

1 .The rear pins that hold the 2 bolts that holds the caliper in place. are stuck i cant get the to slide in or out at all. how to i free them up or do i need new calipers...

2 . The brake line where it screws into the caliper now leaks my friend for some reason unscrewed it and then tightened it back up but so every time i press on the brakes it now leaks how can i fix it i have checked and its not crossed threaded

3 . Now that i have put new shoes on the rear end. the tires seem to be hanging up alittle and are kinda hard to turn by hand . could this be from the 2 pins on the caliper being frozen well thats it thanks james

New pins don't come with the caliper. You need to purchase a new caliper bracket from Ford if you want to replace it. They are not too expensive, but they are not cheap either.

You can take the bracket off and try to get the pins loose by applying a penetrating oil and heat.

I had one I could never get out and had to buy the bracket.

As far as the leak, it's likely the copper washer that is on the fitting has been damaged. You'll want to get a new copper washer and replace the one on the leaking fitting.

caliperbracket.jpg

Kit

You can get a "hardware rebuild kit" for the rear caliper. It includes new pins, seals and pin bolts (I think around 12 bucks a side); of course you have to be able to get the old pins out. Also, you can get a new "seal" kit which has a piston boot and a couple other seals.

I rebuilt mine a few weeks ago. I had trouble getting the piston all the way down without the boot wrapping over the top of the piston (which you will ruin if you install the pads like this). If you have this problem, use something not sharp to pry the piston boot away from the piston to relieve air pressure as you push and turn the piston.

cheers
Bob

Back