Engine Swap

Crazyzer

Hey guys im new to this fourm, im sorry if this has been asked before i tryed useing the search but didnt find what i was looking for. I have a 96 V6. and i was wondering if you can take a SC from a 95 and put it onto this engine? if not do you know of anyone who makes one to fit it. also what would be involded with swaping this engine for a 95 SC (engine, ecu, Tranny?) or maybe a 4.6 or 5.0 but id prefer the SC. thanks

With alot help, I had a 90 SC engine swapped into my 91 LX. Here's a rundown of what was swapped on my T-Bird:Engine, transmission, driveshaft, rear end, converted to rear disc, some wiring harnesses, and EEC, along with having a few new wires ran.

Whether you go SC or 4.6/5.0, I HIGHLY recommend having full acess to a donor car - that way, you have all the harnesses and stuff that you may need. But it should fit since it's still a 3.8L engine.

-Andy "Melon"

Rear end? what dose this consite of? is it nessacary to convert to rear disk break (suggested obviously) Also i forgot to mention this If i go about doing all this work i might as well just swap it to a 5 Spd while im at it. (ive done a auto to 5 spd swap before on a 00 Ford Zx2 so im fimilar with that process, and swaping the engine and tranny would provide most the parts cept shifter/linkage and clutch) Also melon how much did you end up paying for these parts?

I advise atleast going to a Super Coupe 8.8 rear end. It's not necessary but highly suggested since you'll be putting out more power. Rear end = where the gears are at... that pumpkin looking thing between the rear axles :D

Converting to rear disc isn't necessary, but like you said - recommended. I had wanted to swap and so that was just a good opportunity. Something else that was changed that I highly recommend is fuel pump. I went to a 255lph pump, but you can probably get away with a 190lph. At that time, I wasn't sure how far my modding would eventually take me so I just went with a 255.

Cost: When it was all said and done with (parts from donor car, other parts that was changed or needed, plus new exhaust) it put me back about $1500. That's a guess to - it might have been a bit more, might have been a bit less - don't remember for sure.

-Andy "Melon"

You need the SC bottom end or BOOM!!!

The SC has many upgrades to live up to the power thrown at the bottom end. Without the proper block and components, you're looking at a possible disaster.

Try looking for an SC on Ebay or around the boards. Cheaper and easier than doing it yourself.

Don

If you're wanting the 96 body style.. You could always get a SC and change out the bumpers w/ your LX. Drop the side skirts. Change headlight panel w/ headlights, cornering lights, and hood. You'll also have to take off the different style side trim and replace it with the other style.

IMO, that would be easier than putting the SC engine in the LX.

IMO again...if you wanted a 4.6L, i wouldn't bother swapping to it. My mom has a 96 T-Bird LX 4.6L. I like it, but i wish the engine had more low end power!

Nick

Back