HELP!! Rear Wheel Clunking on Bumps

Crunchee

Knowing how so many SCs share the same problems..I am hoping you all can give me some ideas before I start taking the car apart.

Whats up?? The passenger side wheel clunks repeatedly when going over bumps. I have inspected the suspension, wheel bearing, and done the up-down test on that corner (no clunk then). Car drives same as before the clunk started.

I don't see any issues down there....my next idea is to remove the shock on that side and see what happens.

Any more good ideas?

Crunchee said:
Knowing how so many SCs share the same problems..I am hoping you all can give me some ideas before I start taking the car apart.

Whats up?? The passenger side wheel clunks repeatedly when going over bumps. I have inspected the suspension, wheel bearing, and done the up-down test on that corner (no clunk then). Car drives same as before the clunk started.

I don't see any issues down there....my next idea is to remove the shock on that side and see what happens.

Any more good ideas?

Check your rubber bushings on the suspension parts. Just a thought.

The rear shocks wear out quickly...

I don't know how many miles you have on your shocks, but the rear shocks do wear out quickly. Around 50,000 miles stock, my rear shocks were rattling in the back when I would go over a bump.

I had new ones installed in the back. Now 40,000 miles later, they are doing the same thing. The bushings for the shocks themselves get worn very easily.

Check all the bushings for things that move. It can be hard to see at rest with rubber bushings unless they are really screwed up. You might try finding a pry bar and pry against the lower control arm a bit to see if you can see anything moving.

Shock bushings though are a good posibility. Then also the anti-roll bar links as well.

check the brake caliper, I just had one brake half-way off on me. Haven't fixed it yet to see if the clunking went away, but it's an easy inspection.

Thanks everyone. I will post once I find out whats going on in there. The shocks have a lot of miles on them...and a bad one would be a good and easy fix.

More later.

Back