PDA

View Full Version : High flow air filter box vs. heat shield setup

Ronald Wendt
06-08-2004, 09:56 AM
I have the KN cone filter with the high flow box that come with a SCP 3" CAI. Is this any better or worse than having a walled off heat shield for the filter to draw air from?

since on my set up at least the box opening is no where near the "floor" where the opening to the fender is, I used one of those swimming "noodles" cut up to make a spacer between the floor and the box to make sure it only draws air from the fender opening. I cannot be sure it is air tight, but it should be close

comments?
Ron

lrsudog
06-08-2004, 10:49 AM
I think the idea with the SCP box is that the opening is supposed to line up with the hole that the factory box bolted to, just above the factory silencer. It would then draw cool air from the high pressure area in front of the radiator.

For a while MP had a great cold air divider available. It formed a seal when the hood closed. Last time I talked to Charles at MP, he was still trying to find a vendor to make them for him. I really wish that I had bought one when they first came on the market.

Ronald Wendt
06-09-2004, 07:09 AM
The opening on the box does line up with the hole, but it is like almost 2" above the hole. So thats why I made the insulated spacer to fill the gap.

I just wondered of the box limits the amount of air to the filter, and if a shield set up would allow better breathing

Ron

89Superbird5spd
06-09-2004, 08:14 AM
mine sits the same way about 2 inches above where it is supposed to go. i just cut the opening in the fenderwall a little bigger and made a spacer like you did. as for the power difference, i think it is only something you would notice on the track. ive had mine with and w/o the box and i couldnt tell any difference.