Inner tie rod end replacement

dms825

Has anyone replaced the inner tie rod ends with the rack still on? It seems like there is a pin on the top of the tie rod that needs to come out, but it's hard to get to with the rack on.

From what I understand, you cannot replace the inner tie rod ends. It has to be the whole rack and pinion. My rack & pinion is leaking from the inner seal and when I started looking for the tie rod ends (inner and outer) I found that you can only get the outer tie rod ends and the inner come on the rack.

This is an old unconfirmed Moog part # I have:

MOOG EV201 [Inner Tie Rod End] Front Suspension; 2 Required

Ford might still sell them as well.

I know they come on the remanufactured rack, but I have replaced them separately. There is a pin that must be removed or sheared to get them off the rack ends. The procedure is in the manual, but I do not have it here at work.

I purchased inner ends from Ford a couple years ago. The originals weren't bad (about 100,000 miles). If I recall, it seemed like there should be a special tightening tool, but I got them installed. Not sure if Ford sells them any more.

Ford seems to be quickly abandoning these cars..making them more difficult as decent daily drivers.

dms825 said:
Has anyone replaced the inner tie rod ends with the rack still on? It seems like there is a pin on the top of the tie rod that needs to come out, but it's hard to get to with the rack on.

Done. Autozone has replacement inner tie rods with LLT warranty for $19.99. Following is a PM from Dan Lineback that tells exactly how to do it in case anyone else needs it.

I THINK that it was no problem doing it with the rack in place. I did have some complications replacing the rack mouting bushings...had to twist it at an awkward angle to get one of the bushings in and out (of course the mounting bolts had to come out for this). But I never did have to remove the hydraulic lines, so the rack definately was not fully removed from the car. But I think I did it with the rack bolted in place.

If memory serves, once you have the outer tie rod ends separated from the knuckle, and unscrewed from the inner t/r end, you remove the bellows boots from either side (be careful not to damage the vent tube). I recommend replaceing the boots while you are at it, since they sometimes have to be cut off.

There is probably a rivet or a pin on the hex part of the inner t/r end that would have to be driven out before removing the t/r end. Use a small chisel or a punch, depending on how it is.

Then using an inner tie rod tool (I rented it at Autozone...it's a long tube with a hex on one end for the tie rod end and a 1/2 square for a socket wrench or breaker bar on the other end) you unscrew the tie rod end from the end of the gear. I believe you have to turn the steering shaft to fully extend the gear the side that you are working on, then use a large crecent wrench to hold on to the flat spot at the end of the gear to keep it from turning.

Installation is reverse. The new t/r ends should come with a rivet that you tap into a hole, which locks it in place. Install new boots and reassemble.

Hope this helps!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!" -- Elwood Blues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dan Lineback, Lithia Springs, GA
1991 SC Auto

1965 T-Bird Hardtop -- FOR SALE!

Back