noisy supercharger

John Valerioti

My SC decided to started making a strange noise the other day, when I opened the hood , it sounds like a bearing in the supercharger, then after a few minutes the noise stopped...I checked the shop manual and it says the unit is not serviceable, it is replaceable only as a complete unit...but it does say to check the oil level by removing the alen head bolt in the front of the unit, the level of the oil should be a the bottom of the fill plug threads, add synthetic supercharger fluid if necessary,,,any one have experience with a noisy unit,,,the car has 210k well maintained miles on it,,,thanks..John

Last edited:
Did you check the fluid ?

With as many miles as you have on the car, it may need rebuilding. Magnum Powers and a few other places offer rebuilding services for around $300. The coupling is usually the first thing to go and causes a rattling sound at idle.

David

Hey Neibert

That pic of you hitting off the crack steam roller is so funny dude. It made my eyes water.

Valerioti OK OK OK Some superchargers make a ratteling noize at idle. The M-90 on the SC is one of them. The rattle noize should go away when you step on the gas or give it throttle. If it is still rattling under throttle then you have a problem. If you are getting good boost then you don't have a problem. The M90 pulses air in if you take the top off you and turn it by hand you will understand what I mean by pulse it is not continous like a turbo. If you take the top off and start the car it will sound like a loud flutter.

There are other eaton superchargers that blow a steady stream into the lower manifold where the intercooler is under the manifold and do not rattle at idle these can mostly be found on GM cars and don't create as much boost.

The makers of the M-90 for the Thunderbird SC claimed it would last longer than the car . I suppose there are exceptions. It has to have proper lubrication. Good luck

Back