How to remove door window switch panel?

Shockwave

I know 89 and 90 have a screw becasue I have both examples. I have found on the 91 SC that there is no screw. I assume there is a clip. Which way do I pry? Here is a picture out of my 92 Ford Shop manual, which ironicly shows the procedure for the 89-90 style.

pwswitch.jpg

IS this a 91 only feature? How do I remove this to get the rest of the door panel off? I will probably have it off before a response, but I figured maybe I might get lucky and get some help to keep from breaking it.

Thanks
Jerry

panel

I think on my 92, i didn't have to take it off the remove the door panel. Just unplug the wiring. i think there's a screw on the back side.

panel

I think on my 92, i didn't have to take it off the remove the door panel. Just unplug the wiring. i think there's a screw on the back side. there's a screw in the end of the panel, then the whole thing lifts up and off.

92_coupe said:
If it is like my 92 ......Pull at the top and it pops out, then you can get the screw behind it.

Well on the 91, I pulled at the top and it just snaps to the door panel in the same place there is a screw on the early models. I found no screw behind it. The bottom of the switch panel slides under the door pull like in previous years. The reason I was removing the door panel was becasue the door ajar light was on and the passive belt would not run to the rear. The switch on the latch was dirty and was stuck in the closed contact position. The switch is attached with a sheet metal screw and needs to be turned counter clockwise to be removed like a auto light socket. With that switch, closed contact equals door ajar and open contact equals door closed. A little WD40 and Deoxit5 cleaned it up nicely.

Thanks for the help
Jerry

I didn't have to remove the switches to pull the door panel. Just a screw in the bottom corner of the door and another one somewhere else near the middle. Lift up on the door panel, unhook it at the top, then lift a little more to unhook it at the bottom. Viola! The panel is off the door.

This on a 89 and a 93.

The screw i was refering to is one of the three that needs to be removed before you can lift the panel free from the door, other two are ...one at the lower coner by the courtesy light and second at the top coner that holds the small trim piece to the window frame.

92_coupe said:
The screw i was refering to is one of the three that needs to be removed before you can lift the panel free from the door, other two are ...one at the lower coner by the courtesy light and second at the top coner that holds the small trim piece to the window frame.

On the 91, there wasn't a screw next to the courtesy light either. I don't know if there was a change between the years or a change of suppliers for the panels.

I only had two screws:

One at the top next to the dash for the black plastic cover.

One at the door pull, behind the switch panel, that fastens the panel to the door.

On my 89 and 90s, there are four screws:

The same two above plus one for the switch panel and one by the courtesy light.

Jerry

Shockwave said:
On the 91, there wasn't a screw next to the courtesy light either. I don't know if there was a change between the years or a change of suppliers for the panels.

I only had two screws:

One at the top next to the dash for the black plastic cover.

One at the door pull, behind the switch panel, that fastens the panel to the door.

On my 89 and 90s, there are four screws:

The same two above plus one for the switch panel and one by the courtesy light.

Jerry

There should be one down next to the courtesy light. I know there's one there on both my 90 and 91.

BTW thats good to know about the switch for the door ajar and belts.....I was in mine last month for the auto door lock selonoid that was acting up.....a little W/D 40 and it is back to working normal. I didnt bother lookin for what else was in their but next time Ill give em both a W/D 40 bath.

Back