HELP!!! BLOWN HG's!!

Dtowndurtieburd

I have a 1991 SC w/ 151,000 miles on it and I just found out that my headgaskets are blown. Can anyone who has run into this problem tell me what the best solution would be? Whether it be getting the entire engine rebuilt or just replacing the gaskets. About how much do you think I'll pay to get either one of these jobs done? INPUT INPUT INPUT...I NEED INPUT!!!!!
Please Email me at drumma4life2003@yahoo.com

Last edited:
well it depends, have u tried running the engine? check the oil, is it milky? if so immedietley drain it, coolant is mixed and will damaged the crank and other internal components, if you didnt really run it or push it you might just get away with just RE-MILLING the heads and poping in some FEL PRO headgaskets. Your looking at around 100-300 dollars? anyone? dont really know about prices

Those prices are if you do it yourself. If you have a shop do it, your looking at more than $1,000. If you havent driven it to much with this problem, then I would just pull the heads and go that route.

My opinion is different....

I suggest that you, if you have the resources to do so money wise, replace the whole motor. I had a similar situation, never ran the motor once I saw the smoke, took it apart, installed heads, gaskets etc and ran it for about two weeks. Then BOOM!!!! The rod knock came, not loud, and I knew it was done. I know of many that have just done the gaskets and the same thing happened.

Choice is yours.....penny wise.....Dollar foolish...

150,000+ miles is A LOT of miles on any motor.

If you need any advice, feel free to call.

Plus is that you can get a Ford Reman'd motor for under $2000 and WARRANTIED!!!!

Just a thought...

Don

(973) 277-4294

I think you have a good chance of replacing the head gaskets and being fine if you didnt blow the heads during hard driving and due to detonation. In my humbled opinion i dont see how decay of the gasket material would lead to a bent rod -- can someone educate or validate me ?

In my humbled opinion i dont see how decay of the gasket material would lead to a bent rod -- can someone educate or validate me ?

It's not the gasket failure that causes the problems, it's the coolant that gets into the motor oil that causes the real damage. If the oil is contaminated with coolant, chances are good that the bearings (rod and main) are damaged.

I think what Don is saying...is that your already half way there, so on a motor with that many miles, you might as well spend a little more to do the job right if you plan on keeping the car. I agree.

David

David i see your point. I didnt see that he had coolant in the oil. So would you say that if coolant has not gotten into the oil it would be safe to rebuild by replacing head gaskets ? I am asking because im in a similiar situation with a 91SC. I checked the oil and no coolant.

Back