PDA

View Full Version : sc growling after 10% od install

blownsc
06-11-2004, 03:31 AM
To make a long story short, I had my engine rebuilt and put a spare used sc on at the same time there because my old one was whining a bit. This is a 90sc. The shop used the original sc pulley and forgot to put on the 10% od I had on my original blower, so I recently put it on myself. However, the pulley doesn't fit right on this blower (still an eaton m90 off another sc) and the bolt did not hold it securely in place after tightening it all the way down, so I put washers between the bolt and the 10%od and made it tight, but it rubbed against the sc nose, so I put a washer on each side of the pulley and it now clears fine, however, it makes a chatter or growling sound anytime it's not under boost, no matter how i configure the washers to space it out. It was fine before the 10% od and it's only been a couple days with it, so i'm not so sure it's a bad bearing yet, but i don't know what else it could be. Anyone else had a 10% od not fit and cause bad grinding like noise? Just put on a 395m belt, so that's nice and tight. Also makes the noise w/ the 401mm.
I'm at a loss, might be time to rebuild the spare, but it's embarassing in the mean time.

blownsc
06-12-2004, 09:46 PM
anyone????

blownsc
06-14-2004, 02:58 AM
just in case anyone does a search and comes upon this, I thought i'd share my results. The 10%od was rubbing the sc snout when i put washers on the front to secure it all the way. looks like the nose just stuck out too far on mine. What I did was buy a pair of washers the exact size of the hole in the pulley and filed out the notch so they would slide down the shaft. putting them between the pulley and the sc gave it enough clearance and it now works perfect. I've read that some others have shaved the front of their blower snout instead to solve this ocational clearance issue, the spacers seemed a bit easier, cost $.22 too.