AC compressor, clutch bearing maintenance.

TBirdDriver

I wish I had thought about this earlier. The AC clutch on my car just failed. (Bearing failure). What ticks me off is that this could have been prevented. The free turning pulley that the belt turns, is just like a large idler pulley. It's basically just a big bearing. However, it is covered by the clutch plate in front and you can't actually see it, or what condition it is in. (When's the last time you ever checked yours?). Well I got to see mine today. The ball bearings that make up the bearings were so devoid of any lubricant or grease, that the ball bearings were actually rusted. Amazing what a 10 minute job could have avoided. All I had to do was remove that one little bolt that holds the clutch plate on, and easily remove the front clutch plate. This provides access to the bearing, and then a little application of some spray grease and the bearing on this clutch would have lasted a lot longer, probably for the life of the car. I just ordered a new AC clutch, (and they're not cheap), but I'll be checking its condition every year now. :(

I have an old one.. :) that still works fine.. just sitting there on my old compressor taking up space in my garage.

Back