Suspension Parts

Kube

Looking for front end suspension parts. Where is a good place to get upper/lower control arms and bushing sets? Is there someone that has a complete kit available? Is it easier to replace control arms or just replace the bushings? I have not had the pleasure of working on suspension before, so this will be a first.

Kube said:
Looking for front end suspension parts. Where is a good place to get upper/lower control arms and bushing sets? Is there someone that has a complete kit available? Is it easier to replace control arms or just replace the bushings? I have not had the pleasure of working on suspension before, so this will be a first.

http://www.mn12performance.com/ :)

mn12performance

Thanks, I actually went to that site last night! They seemed like they had a pretty complete bushing kit. They did not have have the upper and lower control arms which I am thinking of replacing because the ball joints are shot. Can you replace the ball joints? Are they pressed in or bolted? They also did not have the sway bar end links.

The ball joints are pressed in. Either the upper or the lower (can't recall) requires the arm to be replaced rather than just the joint.

Personally I'd just get new control arms and leave it at that. If you are looking to go beyond getting the control back to stock, then also get the Poly kits from MN12Performance and have those put in place of the new rubber pieces.

Otherwise the new rubber bushings should last a couple years before deteriorating.

It all depends on what you want...If you want to get poly bushings, you cannot get the control arms with those already in. You will end up spending about the same amount either way that you go, so it is totally up to your preference. I'm in the process of replacing ALL of my front suspension parts as I type this. I re-used the lower control arms, and had a new ball joint pressed in. New shock shock mounts (referred to as strut mounts) are not currently available in poly so the plain rubber moog part is our only option right now. The upper control arms you will have to purchase. The upper ball joint is built into the arm instead of pressed in. The upper poly bushings are pretty easy to get in after you get the stock rubber ones out.

If you plan on just replacing the worn bushings with OEM rubber ones, then get the complete lower control arms. Uppers as I stated you will have to get regardless if the upper ball joints are shot. While you're in there, I'd recommend replacing the outer tie rod ends as well. I'm doing significantly more than that, but that would be the minimum that I would recommend just to replace most of the parts that wear over time. I'm also replacing the spindles (upgrading to '93 and up), hub bearing ***'y, rack and pinion, and I think that's it! I'm sure that there's more, but that's all I can think of right now.

Bottom line is if you're going poly, use your old parts, (lower arms). If not then just buy the replacement lower arms.

I am going to go w/ the poly bushings since I will already have the front end apart. I also think I will just get new upper and lower arms. Will save me some time. Hub/bearing assym also being replaced and probably the tie rod ends as you suggested. I am going to reuse the spindles.Thanks for all the help.

Back