Supercharging a 3.8

Thunder427

hi I have an 88 Thunderbird building into a 427 stroker project... now my old boss knows i like these cars and he has a 1994 XR7 that he is basically going to give to me.... it has a 3.8 V6 and ive found used superchargers on ebay so i was wondering if its possible to use the supercharger on this engine or if theyre different... because it would be fun to have that as a secondary car too hehe

Thunder427 said:
hi I have an 88 Thunderbird building into a 427 stroker project... now my old boss knows i like these cars and he has a 1994 XR7 that he is basically going to give to me.... it has a 3.8 V6 and ive found used superchargers on ebay so i was wondering if its possible to use the supercharger on this engine or if theyre different... because it would be fun to have that as a secondary car too hehe

Yes I believe it is possible, but pretty unpractical given the differences between the NA 3.8 and S.C. 3.8. If you run a search on here you'll find a few threads that go into detail on this subject. Best of luck. :)

IMHO I wouldn't charge a 3.8 from a regular TBird, the SC has some beefier parts, and I think the compression ratios may be different along with a few other things, intake manifold, radiator/intercooler etc...not to say it can't be done but you are not going to get the performance of a SC, the pistons in the stock 3.8 SC engine are made of a special alloy and have better rings I believe, the regular pistons are nowhere near as tough and will easily burn/crack/explode through your block if you run anywhere near the boost a SC takes, if you pull it off though, there a lot of people that seem to want to do what you are talking about and they would be happy to follow in your footsteps, good luck :)

Back