Mechanical Diode

ibew112

has anyone installed this in thier Aode ? I have an AOD 1990 and want to put this and the larger sun shell gear in it to run the larger OD band !

are there any tranny guru's reading today that knows if these 2 items are all I need to do to put this mechanical diode in an aod

Thanks for any help

You need an AODE/4R70W sun gear shell, 98+ 4R70W Reverse drum assembly, mechanical diode clutch, and a 2" wide od band.

The mechanical diode requires the use of the 98+ reverse drum assembly, as it has a different clutch land.

The old roller clutch uses 3 pieces, the drum assembly, clutch, and clutch race. In the mechanical diode, the clutch and clutch race are essentially contained in one piece.

I would also recommend upgrading to the A+ super servo.

Also, I would assume you are doing this during a full rebuild (would be stupid not to).

You might also want to upgrade to 4R70W v8/SC-spec dynax intermedete clutches. That will give you one extra "2nd gear" clutch. All you do is get an intermediate pressure plate from a V8/SC spec 4R70W and add one more clutch.

Also look into the alto red eagle "powepack" direct clutches, and a hardened direct lockup shaft.

See this post I made a month or so ago, tons of pics of the AOD internals:

Inside Your AOD

Non lock is best for the ultimate in durability behind a high torque engine. But you lose the highway efficiency becaue the converter is always slipping.

Although you gain some torque multiplication from the converter, you will always get more horesepower to the wheels with a lockup setup.

Thank god for the 4R70W setup.. Lockup is in the TC, not the trans, so you get the strength of a non-lock shaft setup, and the lockup feature.

Back