What Lube Seat Track?

Mike8675309

I've pulled the seats out of my SC to prepare for cleaning the carpet. While I'm at it I figured I might as well lube the seat tracks.

What type of lube does anyone recommend. It appears that a re-inforced plastic slide moves inside a steel channel that the power motor is attached to. The exposed portion of the rail appears kind of sticky.

So, what kind of grease should I use? A wheel bearing grease seems a bit stiff. A silicon spray grease may not stay.

Ball Joint grease?

Should I clean the rails with WD-40 first before applying it?

Is there a way to move the track through it's range without hooking it up to power?

Thanks

Any one with any thoughts? Otherwise I'll pickup some more WD-40 today and wash the tracks out with that. Then follow up with a good dose of 100% petroleum free silicone spray lube. (Used for Treadmill Belts)

OK, here are my thoughts about this. I think the most important step is getting the tracks as clean as possible by using whatever solvent you have handy. I see no problem with the lubricant you want to use, maybe also consider lithium grease like used on door hinges etc. Whatever you use won't last forever, so just repeat the process in a couple of years.

When the pass seat in my Mark started sticking from rust I sprayed a little PB Blaster and ran it up and down a few times using a lawn mower battery. Went back with a liberal application of white lithium grease and that seems to be holding up well about a year later.

Thanks for the info all.

I cleaned and lubed the tracks last night and bolted the seats back in. Seat still is slow to move. Looks like I'll need to keep my eyes open at the salvage yards for some new motors.

Thanks.

I can't speak for the 'Birds but the motor assemblies aren't "sold seperately" for the Marks and they're more expensive than a tanker of gasoline. Not sure if the recyclers will follow suit....

My seats barely move. I oiled them, and I took apart the motors - they were like new inside, contacts not too worn, everything clean. The seats still don't hardly move.

Mike8675309 said:
Thanks for the info all.

I cleaned and lubed the tracks last night and bolted the seats back in. Seat still is slow to move. Looks like I'll need to keep my eyes open at the salvage yards for some new motors.

Thanks.

fivaxis said:
My seats barely move. I oiled them, and I took apart the motors - they were like new inside, contacts not too worn, everything clean. The seats still don't hardly move.
Did you lube the motor bearings?

Back