Auto Dim Switch?

dvruger

Is it possible to upgrade my car to the autodim option? I've seen the switches, but what else would be required on my car. I have the twilight sensor, but not autodim.

Rearview Mirror Sensor

dvruger said:
Is it possible to upgrade my car to the autodim option? I've seen the switches, but what else would be required on my car. I have the twilight sensor, but not autodim.
You also need the auto-dim sensor that screws onto the bottom of the RV mirror. That should be easy to find.

I'd say that the wireing harness is probably there. I have an '89 XR-7 & they didn't come with SC fog lights, but the fog light harness'es were there. All I had to do, was buy the switch, new bezel & plug everything together.

Why would you have the twilight sensor, and NOT auto dim? I wasn't aware that you could get one & not the other.

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
Why would you have the twilight sensor, and NOT auto dim? I wasn't aware that you could get one & not the other.

68COUGAR

Maybe I'm not calling it right, but my lights turn on at dusk by themselves. Would this be the same sensor in the mirror that detects oncoming lights? Do I need to replace the mirror, or is it added to the mirror like you said? Can someone send a picture?
:eek:

Auto Lamp & Auto Dim

dvruger said:
Maybe I'm not calling it right, but my lights turn on at dusk by themselves. Would this be the same sensor in the mirror that detects oncoming lights? Do I need to replace the mirror, or is it added to the mirror like you said? Can someone send a picture?
:eek:
If you still have the OEM mirror, yes, you can add the sensor. There is one screw that holds it on. The wireing harness may not be there though. OR it may be tucked up over the headliner. The mirror sensor detects oncoming headlights & dims your headlights automatically. There is a thumbwheel control that sets the threshold sensitivity.

There is a another sensor in the top of the dash, that detects sunlight or the lack of sunlight. Then it signals the auto lamp module to turn on the headlights.

68COUGAR

Back