transmission not shifting properly!! help!!

canadabird

My transmission has been acting weird once and a while for the past little while. What happens is it will hold the gear its in longer and then shift. ex. before it shifted into 3rd at about 40kph but now it won't shift till its at about 45kph using the same throttle pressure. When it did thid before I noticed the cable on the linkage on the throttle body to the transmission was sticking out 1/2 inch not returning with the linkage.(it didn't want to shift gears at all) I fixed it for a while but now its doing it again. If I drive it nice and easy its okay but as soon as I give it some gas it seems the problem comes back. I think its that cable binding up or something. Anybody have this problem before. By the way the tranny was rebuilt 5 years ago and the fluid has been changed regularly and it works good except for this.

I'd replace the cable and also check the plastic connector where it attaches to the throttle body. Cable could be binding inside.

By the way i just had my tranny guy put a TransGo shift kit in my AOD... it was not that expensive and it works really well now. Nice firm shift (it will bark the tires at 3/4 throttle on the 1-2 shift now) but its not to 'bangy' when you are just cruising....nice and firm. Also will hold overdrive at full throttle now, and will downshift from OD to drive as you coast down under 40 mph or so... It works GREAT.

I am gonna look into the cable. I want to change the trans fluid again anyways so I gotta get under there. I think the cable goes into the tranny so the pan has to come off.
Thanks for your help.

Back