Front lower shock bolt....

RedBirdSC

I'm trying to install my lowering springs(they were swapped onto the shocks by a friend at a shop), and the top of the shock/spring assebly went in just fine. But the lower part of the shock is twisted so i cant get the bolt through to mount it on the control arm. Is there any way I can twist it to get the bolt through? Thanks for any and all help.

Didn't see your post earlier, but its OK just to twist it into place with a long screwdriver. But you already figured that out so I'm just typing for fun.

Screw driver trick didnt work, it needed to be twisted too far. So I bolted in the bottom, and grabbed the top and twisted it as my brother jacked it kind of fast lol.

My sc already has newer shocks(like 6-7,000 miles) but their just stockers. I'm using used intrax springs(2" drop) I droped the front of my car on the ground for the first time in about two months:D I've been doing a lot of things other than just front springs though. When I get the rear done, and a couple other minor things I'll post new pics of my sc:)

Justin

Justin - your friend didn't do a very good job mounting the new springs. You have to put an alignment mark on the top cushion, so they are reassembled in the same position. I wouldn't stress those 3 small bolts in the top of the strut tower either - there is some room for minor alignment on top as the holes are elongated, but if yours are beyond that you really need to remount the springs. Otherwise you'll have tremendous horizontal "wind-up". When you also tighten/torque the lower mounting bolt that goes thru the control arm the car should either be back on it's wheels (kinda impractical) or put a jack under the control arm to bring it to normal ride height before you torque it. Otherwise you'll get the same thing ("wind-up") except it will be vertical and, the car won't sit right.
Good Luck

Thats how I torque all suspension bushings, i've lowered a lot mustangs so I learned that awhile ago.

On the spring, I fixed that problem, no stress on the upper bolts anymore, thanks though.

Car sits perfectly level in the front, now I need to do the rear because its super tall lol

Good luck with the rear, don't forget to get new rubber (or MN12 urethane) spring cushions.

Back