Found The Hard Shifting Problem 5-spd!!!

lube70

Well, after not being able to drive the car much at Carlisle due to clutch probelm, I finally got it on the lift today.

This shocked the HELL out of me......Started the car up, looked in inspection cover opening and the pressure plate was wobbling VIOLENTLY!!!

I then preceeded to try to check the bolts connecting the pressure plate to fly wheel. Of six bolts---TWO WERE ALMOST OUT!!!!

The lock washers that go on these two bolts was not there so it was never installed properly....The others were tight and had the washers on. After tightening the bolts, the wobble is less, the clutch disc is probably shot after the shaking...and the springs on the pressure plate are also probably messed up.

Car now shifts perfect except that the clutch grabs almost at the top of the pedal meaning the clutch is SHOT!!!!

SO.....Check this if you are having an issue getting the car into gear smoothly, meaning that you have to really try to get it into gear.

Mine would not go into gear unless I had to pump the pedal and get it in. Reverse almost impossible.

Anyone having similar problem, if you need info, please feel free to call me to discuss symtoms and see if they are similar.

Good luck and happy hunting....Now going another $600 into the car for new clutch and pressure plate.

Don

(973) 277-4294

Last edited:
How easy ?

Were you able to tighten down the pressure plate bolts (through the inspection hole) without removing the tranny? I had the same plroblem and had to remove the tranny to get to the bolts.

Bob

I was able to tighten the bolts through the inspection cover...

I have headers on the car which makes it AWESOME to get at it. Otherwise, I would have had to pull the trans..

Did yours screw up the clutch at all. Wondering how long I can go without changing the clutch and pressure plate before summers over.

Don

Back