Back from Hot Rod Power Tour

XR7 Dave

Well unfortunately not too many people took advantage of the opportunity to see the 1.7L AR in action on Hot Rod Power Tour. We made the 3500mile trek without incident, and I was hoping to give some people rides in the car but Doug Franklin was the only one who cashed in. :D

Anyway, the car performed flawlessly and the blower did as well. With the largest pulley offered, it makes about 15psi (+/-) with the gauge pegging out somewhere north of 4000rpm. The SOTP dyno says the car is strong all the way to at least 5500rpm unlike an M90 car that wimps out after 4500. I can't say how much power it makes exactly but it feels very good. By far the biggest SOTP mod I've ever done.

I will be taking the car to the dyno this week for some tuning and verifiction of results. It is worthy to note that the car currently has no tuning whatsoever and it runs great. While special tuning will undoubtedly greatly enhance the potential of the new blower, none was needed to experience a very pronounced gain.

As for noise, I have to point out that I have a totally stock intake (minus the silencer). In this configuation the blower is about as loud as my S-model. It is totally unobtrusive in normal driving but it really lets loose at high rpm. It's really from 4500 and up that it starts to sound like - well - nothing else you're likely to come accross. :D

In the gas mileage department, we got some really respectable numbers. The Cougar managed a best of 22mpg and the SWB hit 26.5mpg twice. The worst we got with the Cougar was 17mph and the worst I got with SWB was 19.5mpg. I can't really compare those numbers directly to a totally stock SC but the 26.5 was achieved while cruising at 75+mph continuously. That is the best mileage I have ever gotten from an SC. Normally I get about 21mpg with mixed driving. It is possible that the AR takes a little more gas but I don't think so.

Well that's it for now. Watch for the dyno numbers in a few days. :)

David

Nice to hear you made it without incident Dave. I wanted to go from Chicago to Green Bay with you guys but as usual was in Seattle for work while that leg of the tour was taking place.

Dave,

I'm glad to hear that you and Connie and the gang made the trip safe and sound. It's nice to hear that the AR 1.7L performed so well!

I'm anxious to see some numbers from you once you get the car do the dyno!

Cheers,

Sean

Glad to hear you guys made it home ok. I didn't know I had to ask for a ride :rolleyes: Although, by the time we were finished with dinner, there wasn't a lot of time for rides.

i was at the davenport stop at the Mississippi vally fairgrounds. Never saw any SC's. Couple of old school t-birds, but i didn't have time to look around at absolutly everything. That camaro was sweet, the editor's camaro. I think the guy was the editor or something like that, can't remember his name. it was the tealish color w/ his name in the side 630 N/A HP out of a stroked ls1. $112000 est. cost. u know, that one. lol.

You must be talking about the Dick Harrell Camaro with the flared fenders. That is an awesome car.

We were parked a little towards the back by the bathrooms. We got in late and all the good spots were gone. :( Sorry we missed you.

XR7 Dave said:
Well unfortunately not too many people took advantage of the opportunity to see the 1.7L AR in action on Hot Rod Power Tour. We made the 3500mile trek without incident, and I was hoping to give some people rides in the car but Doug Franklin was the only one who cashed in. :D

Anyway, the car performed flawlessly and the blower did as well. With the largest pulley offered, it makes about 15psi (+/-) with the gauge pegging out somewhere north of 4000rpm. The SOTP dyno says the car is strong all the way to at least 5500rpm unlike an M90 car that wimps out after 4500. I can't say how much power it makes exactly but it feels very good. By far the biggest SOTP mod I've ever done.

I will be taking the car to the dyno this week for some tuning and verifiction of results. It is worthy to note that the car currently has no tuning whatsoever and it runs great. While special tuning will undoubtedly greatly enhance the potential of the new blower, none was needed to experience a very pronounced gain.

As for noise, I have to point out that I have a totally stock intake (minus the silencer). In this configuation the blower is about as loud as my S-model. It is totally unobtrusive in normal driving but it really lets loose at high rpm. It's really from 4500 and up that it starts to sound like - well - nothing else you're likely to come accross. :D

In the gas mileage department, we got some really respectable numbers. The Cougar managed a best of 22mpg and the SWB hit 26.5mpg twice. The worst we got with the Cougar was 17mph and the worst I got with SWB was 19.5mpg. I can't really compare those numbers directly to a totally stock SC but the 26.5 was achieved while cruising at 75+mph continuously. That is the best mileage I have ever gotten from an SC. Normally I get about 21mpg with mixed driving. It is possible that the AR takes a little more gas but I don't think so.

Well that's it for now. Watch for the dyno numbers in a few days. :)

David

Hey Dave, can you maybe get a video clip when you do the dyno? your cougar was unlike anything i ever heard the way it was. I'd really like to hear it now.

XR7 Dave said:
You must be talking about the Dick Harrell Camaro with the flared fenders. That is an awesome car.

We were parked a little towards the back by the bathrooms. We got in late and all the good spots were gone. :( Sorry we missed you.

Yes, Dick Harrell was his name. Realy awesome car. I never even made it to the bathrooms before everyone started leaving. Too many people to talk to to many cool cars.

Hey dave i got a new cell phone so i dont have your #. Give me a call this week, id be glad to make a trip out to the dyno to watch if im not busy.
Ryan

hey wtf, i got a ride in it, so what we didnt get past idle and it was raining. nice to see ya again, glad ya got home ok. sorry the chicago weather wasnt all that great.

see ya at the shootout

That's awesome news Dave....sounds like everything is going really well and expectations are being met! I would have liked to get down to STL to see you both and check the 1.7, but it couldn't happen.

Micah

I'm sorry I missed you guys in arlington. I was there and saw a few old tbirds, and 2 SC's. 2 guys from from Iowa and a blue sc with the plate N2BNLOW. Would have loved a ride. Still had a blast. Hope to go next year, with OD. I couldn't afford 3500 miles at 3000@70 or so.

oh yeah, and I was sportin my SCCOA shirt. The guy from Iowa(or indiana or something)noticed it quick. I felt cool. :cool:

Last edited:
Back