Transmission advice please

Thomas95SC

I have a 94 AODE transmission. I just ordered a 24,000 GVW B&M cooler and am about to change the fluid and filter. I also plan to drain the torque converter as well. I was wondering if their is a good brand filter to use or if they are all generally the same. Also, I know to use Mercon V, but what is a good brand? I also plan to use the Lucas Transmission Fix as well. Any adive would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Unless you plan on modding the valvebody and changin some parts out, don't use the mercon v. Use the mercon/dextron 3. As far as filters go, they are all pretty much the same. However, there are cork and rubber gaskets available. If you are gunna go this far, I would recommend doing the j mod or a full shift kit. The tranny will be a lot more lively and snappier. As far as fluid goes, synthetic is better, but is a lil bit more costly. I used castrol and b&m trick shift and did a 50/50 mix. All is good. P.S. you gots a 4r70w. aode came in the mustang.

i advise you that you do not add SYNTETHIC ATF to a used tranny, why because u will take it in for a rebuil within a week or 2. The reason, the synthetic fluid quickly cleans the insides and causes ur tranny to slip. The only way u should go with synthetic would be if it has been completely overhauled and it hasnt had any fluid in it. otherwise stick with the good ole DEX/MERC 3. Also as for your tranny cooler, i also suggest that you do not by pass the radiator, why do u ask? Because if u you do, the fluid pressure doesnt drop enough to cool it down, so all you get is hot fluid going back in. How do i know this? because i did it and in less then 6 months i was on my second transmission. I learned my lesson.

If you want you can do a J MOD like the dude above said, or get a shift kit installed. Have fun.

I had done a search on installing tranny coolers and seen that you should not pass the radiator; but how do you do that? Drill on the other side or what? Not sure about the piping involved.

Also, I e-mailed the previous owner to find out about the trannys past fluid changes and such. The fluid appears to be very clean and still red so im pretty sure it has been done at least semi-reguarly.

Also as for your tranny cooler, i also suggest that you do not by pass the radiator, why do u ask? Because if u you do, the fluid pressure doesnt drop enough to cool it down, so all you get is hot fluid going back in. How do i know this? because i did it and in less then 6 months i was on my second transmission. I learned my lesson.

Who told you that ? I've had the radiator bypassed for a couple years, and with a 9.5 non locking converter my transmission produces more heat than most. According to the trans temp gauge I installed, mine doesn't go over 180 degrees unless I'm racing it and then it only gets up to about 195. According to Lentech, anything under 210 is cool enough.

Unless you have a small diameter non locking converter there really isn't a need to bypass the cooler in the radiator, but if you did bypass it to keep the added heat out of the radiator, it won't hurt anything. The worse that could happen is that your transmission fluid would take a little longer to warm up in the winter.

David

Mercon V

Mercon V is the recommended AODE/4R70W fluid. More than a few brands out there. Motorcraft, Valvoline and Castrol for starters. It is semi-synthetic and formulated to prevent torque converter shudder. Full synthetics are not recommended but no one has given a satisfactory explanation. Maybe too slippery for the TC clutch? Full synthetics not recommended for Eaton and Auburn differentials either. Both manufacuturers specify conventional gear lubes. Mobil 1 worked great (still working) in my AOD for 250K+ miles now.

I changed mine out to mercon V at 80k and with the j mod it made a big differance in the way it shifted. The guy at the Ford parts counter said he would use merc v only in that trans. No more shudder and Still going strong at 92k. My .02

Back