Starter stays engauged

John Valerioti

When starting my 90 SC , the starter stays engauged for about 30 seconds after the engine starts, the sound obviously is horrendous,,,,are these SC's prone to have bad starters or does anyone think it could be a sticking solinoid? :confused:

this is going to sound dumb, but make sure you let your igniton come all the way back when you start the car. i remember something similair happening to me until i realized the key was stuck in the start position. next time you satrt the car check to see if the key comes all the way back to "run" on the ignition.

John Valerioti said:
When starting my 90 SC , the starter stays engauged for about 30 seconds after the engine starts, the sound obviously is horrendous,,,,are these SC's prone to have bad starters or does anyone think it could be a sticking solinoid? :confused:
I just went through this with mine. Originally, I replaced the starter solenoid mounted on the fender. That fixed it for a while, but then it happened again. I replaced the starter and it hasn't happened again.

SC UL8R1990 said:
this is going to sound dumb, but make sure you let your igniton come all the way back when you start the car. i remember something similair happening to me until i realized the key was stuck in the start position. next time you satrt the car check to see if the key comes all the way back to "run" on the ignition.
No your idea does not sound dumb..now that you mention it...I have had trouble with getting the key out after putting the car in "PARK",,,,I have to "jiggle" the shifter handle in order for me to be able to remove my key form the switch....maybe your right....maybe my ignition switch is worn out it is not releasing the key from the "START" position,,,,I think I'll look into that before replacing the starter/solinoid...thanks , John

Back