Which is Low speed fan pin at the computer?

Parker Dean

The Low speed fan pin at the IRCM is #14 of course, but thats on the far corner of the engine compartment. Since there's no easy way in to the passenger compartment from underhood I thought it would be just as easy to splice in over by the computer. I did a Search but came up empty handed on the EEC pinout.

Anyway, does anyone know which one it is? Thanks.

Hmm... The pinout of the EEC can vary. On my 93 5 speed it shows Pin 13, a Tan wire with an orange stripe is tied to #14 on the IRCM.

On my 89, pin 13 was Injector #4

Which pin on the fan is low and the other high? I have the lincoln fan and was wondering which ones to hook.

Thanks

catwithboost said:
here is the wiring of fan.

Umm, thanks but that shows only the IRCM side of the equation which I already know. I was hoping that perhaps someone knew the pinouts on the EEC side, for a 90 automatic.

Hi Parker.
I don't know what year SC this is from, hope it helps some.
It's copied from this board.
Vidar.

Attachments

• eecpins.jpg
    eecpins.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 22,598
someone help me out on this. our sc's have a high and a low speed on the fans? someone tell me how it works please. my fan comes on just past the half way mark. it use to never go that high.

Posters with other fan issues, please start your own threads and don't steal this one. (most have been answered before if you search)

That graphic that SCvidar posted matches some diagrams I saved from my 89. So it might be worth a look on your 90. Make sure the color codes match. Here is the wiring diagram I have for the cooling fans from my 89. Notice #197 and #639 coming from the ECA. That matches with Pin 13 on the EEC for low, and Pin 31 on the EEC for High according to the diagram above.

Now I only have the 1-30 pins for my 89 so I can't see the other ones. So I know on the 89 pin 13 was an injector. So as you can see, the pin outs on the EEC change. Your best bet is to try and match the color at the EEC and if you have a tool to ring out the wire, do that. The wires at the Relay box will stay, it's just what pin they are on in the EEC that changes.

Attachments

• coolingfanwiring.JPG
    coolingfanwiring.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,010
Last edited:
pic is a 1000 words

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45156&highlight=a9u2

I believe it to be pin #41..on the eec the same as a A9l mustang eec so you should beable to do this.
A9L_e-fan_harness.gif

with everything else posted this may help...dave

Last edited:
What To Do ???????????????

SCvidar said:
Hi Parker.
I don't know what year SC this is from, hope it helps some.
It's copied from this board.
Vidar.
:eek: :eek: DON,T SEE 14 WIRE :confused: :confused: I JUST CUT IT, AND LET IT RUN :cool: :cool:

In that Diagram, Pin 41 is for high speed and pin 65 is for low speed.

Wire #197 (Tan/Orange Stripe) is the low speed relay control, and Wire #639 (Pink) is the high speed relay control.

Parker,

I go back to your original statement. There is a reasonable way to bring the control wire into the car. I ran my wire from pin #14 on the IRCM across the front of the car under the hood to the driver's side and then back to the firewall. Then, I punched a small hole through the rubber boot around the sterring column pass through the firewall. Voila, wire is ready to put on a switch under the dash. Easier than messing with the computer on the inside of the passenger side in my opinion.

Jon

I routed all my wires that way (thru the steering boot & into the passenger compartment) - amp power; fan controls, incl I/C relay; 02 sensor contacts for my air/fuel gauges; alarm; etc, etc. You just have to watch the section along the inner fender opposite the headers, I covered that part of the plastic loom with some of that heat resistant foil sheeting. However, if you want to control the low speed with a switch, you'll also need to find a way to bridge it onto the #17 wire for the high speed. You want the low speed to de-energize when the high kicks in. I found it easier to just cut the 14 and splice it onto the 17. Using some nice 3M splices and connectors I hook it up this way in the summer & then return to normal rest of year. Leaving the low speed on all the time can cause starting problems in the winter as the fan runs upon ignition.

never had a problem

Joisey Jim said:
I routed all my wires that way (thru the steering boot & into the passenger compartment) - amp power; fan controls, incl I/C relay; 02 sensor contacts for my air/fuel gauges; alarm; etc, etc. You just have to watch the section along the inner fender opposite the headers, I covered that part of the plastic loom with some of that heat resistant foil sheeting. However, if you want to control the low speed with a switch, you'll also need to find a way to bridge it onto the #17 wire for the high speed. You want the low speed to de-energize when the high kicks in. I found it easier to just cut the 14 and splice it onto the 17. Using some nice 3M splices and connectors I hook it up this way in the summer & then return to normal rest of year. Leaving the low speed on all the time can cause starting problems in the winter as the fan runs upon ignition.
:eek: :eek: i run all the time no problem, :confused: :confused: except very clod days, won,t heat up :cool: :cool:

Thanks y'all. Obviously I didn't look in the appropriate threads for the pinout diagram. Anyway, I had planned on double-checking wire color at the IRCM against what pin we thought was the one. I could've found it myself but I didn't really wanna go and start pulling connectors for a continuity check if I didn't have to. I'll check it out this weekend and post in this thread later so the info is available for posterity :)

Since I'm using the IRCM and just wanting a bit of manual control, all I need to do is just splice in a switch to open the circuit so the Low fan will come on. I didn't really want to run nearly 15 feet of wire if I didn't have to. Local road and wind conditions come together to create a situation where the car will run up to the Low fan turn-on temp when I'm on the freeway headed North. We usually have a 20-30mph South wind, and road construction from Brownsville to Harlingen and McAllen through Edinburg tends to slow traffic to 50 mph or so. That means I've only got a 20mph wind across the radiator and that ain't enough. If I turn into the wind it cools right off, even at low freeway speeds. Since I only need this little assistance for maybe an hour or so, I see no reason to operate the fan continously.

I have a simple toggle switch on the #14 wire under the dash. I only turn on the low speed fan when I need to by watching the gauge. I turn it off when I don't need it.

I don't worry about the high speed fan because it has never come on in this car and when the low fan is on the temp is always well left of center - way below where the high speed would kick in.

Jon

OK, I finally got around to installing a switch to allow me to operate the Low speed engine cooling fan in some situations where the factory programming falls short. I wanted to keep my wiring inside the car so I wouldn't have to make a hole in the firewall nor worry about corrosion of the connections overmuch, which was why I wanted to find the EEC side of the factory Low speed fan wiring.

Welp, the pin on the EEC for the Low speed fan proved to be...wait for it :) ....pin 55. Just like the fan wiring diagram that Mike8675309 posted on the previous page. I won't bore y'all with the details, suffice it to say that I should have done this back when the temperature was reasonable. :wipesforeheadsmiley:

What To Do ???????????????

Parker Dean said:
OK, I finally got around to installing a switch to allow me to operate the Low speed engine cooling fan in some situations where the factory programming falls short. I wanted to keep my wiring inside the car so I wouldn't have to make a hole in the firewall nor worry about corrosion of the connections overmuch, which was why I wanted to find the EEC side of the factory Low speed fan wiring.

Welp, the pin on the EEC for the Low speed fan proved to be...wait for it :) ....pin 55. Just like the fan wiring diagram that Mike8675309 posted on the previous page. I won't bore y'all with the details, suffice it to say that I should have done this back when the temperature was reasonable. :wipesforeheadsmiley:
:eek: :eek: on my lx :( :( I use a double pole switch :) :) front low middle off :cool: :cool: back high :p :p :p works for me :D :D

Back