PDA

View Full Version : Smelling like burning coolant. Engine really hot.

Top Shelf SC
06-15-2004, 04:22 PM
I sent my car to a mechanic to change up the fuel pump and with that he suggested new pulleys/belts. Car was firing up great, boosting alot better. Now I smell burning coolant when I get out of the car after its warm, are my headgaskets going? I have no milky resisdue, oil seems fine.

catwithboost
06-15-2004, 04:39 PM
Depends on were you are smelling it? Is it up front or out the pipes? You could have a leaking radiator hose. Or have you been running it REAL hard after getting the work done?

Top Shelf SC
06-15-2004, 06:29 PM
Smell comes stongest from behind the front drivers wheel, like its coming threw the cats. I thought it might be the smell from the new pulleys (plastic replacements) but I do not think that would still be ongoing.

couple more points...

Temp gauge is stagnant on N, not getting a good reading there. Try to keep the temp sensor clean but have no idea if the wire is good. Testing that tomorrow.
If the T-stat was no good or stuck, would that back up the system and force out fluid on to the hot engine? Maybe threw the vent plug- I see that the mechanic put an end to the gasket thing, but I still do not see a way fluid could get out there.

Not running it too hard, I driving alot lately but nothing big.

wezar
06-15-2004, 06:54 PM
Maybe the mechanic spilled some coolant on the engine while refilling the system?

Billabong089
06-15-2004, 11:07 PM
i've always smell coolant after driving for a long time and my overflow tank magically empties over the course of a two week period, but yet the radiator stays full, very odd, this is on going for a year and half, so oh well, it still runs haha ;)