stupid kid with dreams.

jaypee

Hello all, I've been lurking around here reading about the super coupe for a while now and it looks like i might have the chance to buy one in the near future. The situation I'm looking at is buying two SCs, the first has working everything, with fairly sevre front body damage, and the second i found on autotrader for 995$.(http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...dvanced=n&start_year=1984&=&color=&cardist=74).By fairly sevre it looks like it needs a new bumper, hood, and maybe both 1/4 panels. According to the owner, and the driver it looks like there is no structural damage. Basicly, I'm new to working on cars all together and i'm asking how hard you think it would be to replace these body peices. As of now i have very limited tools and limited knowledge, just alot of motivation and a dream :)

It would be best IMO, to get one that does not need body work even if the drivetrain needs a lot. It's far easier to rebuild engines, trannies, etc., than it is to get good body and paint work.

FWIW, I done the buy-it for-the-drivetrain-hang-how-it-looks method for at least twenty years and IME it doesn't work. You end up with a quick POS that no one wants to be around (useful as that may be in some situations :) ).

i forgot to mention both these cars are black and it looks like the paint is the same? :)

heh yeah if i wanted to have an all go and no show car id buy a festiva or a honda or something with less sex appeal than a tbird. half of the appeal of these cars to me is their looks so i'd really like to have one that looked as good as it drove.

Don't forget that if you're replacing body panels that automatically means a repaint as the new panels are not likely to match even if the cars were the same color from the factory. Weathering and all that, you know.

Oh, and to fuel the fire you might check out these videos if you haven't already. It isn't my car or anything, it's just that these videos really show what an SC can sound like. Most videos you can't hear the car all that well. Right click and save-to-disk to keep their bandwidth down since you'll probably want to listen multiple times.

http://www.ledss.com/tbirdsc/mikesc.htm

Back