Im I running only 5 Cylinders??? Pic

93Poopcoupe

Only 5 Cylinders??? Pic

I looked at my Motorcraft DIS the other day on my 93 SC and I have 6 wires coming out of the right side. 4 of the wires look normal to me running where I think they should. One wire is feeding into a red wire (Im not sure if the red wire is a stock thing or not) and then feeds back into a black wire that runs where the 4 "normal" wires run. The Red wire runs back into the firewall. Then there is one more wire coming off of the DIS that goes to NOTHING! Is there some sort of weird electircal junk going on where Im still getting power to all my cylinders?

If I was running on 5 cylinders I would notice an obvious miss wouldn't I??? My car has 96,000 miles and sometimes very rarely when I come to a stop the rpm's will drop real low and it will want to die, but that hasn't happened for months. Is there a way for me to check all my cylinders without any downtime.....or money?

If you look at the picture the wire running straight up doesn't go to anything...

Attachments

• 100-0012_IMG.JPG
    100-0012_IMG.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
That's messed up..

Those wires look they were spliced into your DIS connector, probably for a Quick and dirty 12V power source. Probably for a stereo install of a previous owner.

If you are questioning if your car is running on all cylinders, try this quick test:

Warm the engine up. OPen the hood. Wear gloves. Carefully, with one hand with engine running, remove ONE spark plug wire from the coil pack. Move it far enough away from the coil pack so that there is no visible sparking. Note any changes in the engine's idle. If the idle gets rougher/choppier and takes a dive, then you know that the wire you just pulled off was working OK and you should put it back and go to the next wire.

You can test all 6 cylinders this way. Be very careful though, DO NOT rest your other hand on the car. YOU WILL be shocked!

I have shocked myself a few times doing this and it doesn't feel good. Although I'm not Drain Bamaged in anyway what-so-ever, I wouldn't risk doing this over and over again.

Also, do not leave the spark plug wire disconnected from the Coil Pack for any length of time. The spark energy has to go somewhere and it could eventually burn out your stuff. Just remove it, quickly note engine running performance and reconnect it. Should take about 2 seconds.

well yes it would be noticable and the DIS fires three coil packs, so it would turn off two cylinders not just one. Not all those wires are just for the coil pack, they go to sensors and other things.

COIL PACK ( 12 -> 7 ) In descending order from firewall

³ 7 ³ IGND D ³
³ 8 ³ Coil 1 ³
³ 9 ³ Coil 3 ³
³ 10 ³ nothing ³
³ 11 ³ Coil 2 ³
³ 12 ³ IDM D

It appears that the wire is sticking up is pin #10 which is nothing .

Back