Cam Sensor

92_coupe

I see that the cam sensor is an item that no doubt fails within 100,000 miles....so my question is " Does the one from Auto Zone last as long as the one from Ford ? "
The reason i ask is mine bucked on me a couple of times the last two days and i have a feeling that it may be time for replacement 82,000 miles.

I'd pull codes before replacing a part out of hand. What you describe could be simply a bad plug wire, or a bad DIS or Coil Pack.

You might not find any stored codes, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Another sign of a failing cam position sensor is hard starting (won't turn over till second or third try), and problems with the tach not reading.

i've had the autozone one in my car for almost a year now with no problems. but start with what's cheapest and go from there.

Auto Zone is 32.99
ford is 69.56
I just wanted to know if it worth paying double the amount for a better sensor ? It appears that many ford sensors have been replaced and may not be worth paying double the price if if the Auto Zone works as good and as long as the ford one. :rolleyes:

Joe
both times it caught me by surprize...im not sure if the tach dropped off or not.......and when i tried to make it do it again no luck. i guess starting has been a little funky....it starts and goes to 1000 rpm within a few seconds it drops down low, stumbles a little and settles in at 756 ???? :confused:
Plugs look fine !
wires ? Taylor about 30,000 miles on them ? they look ok and when i dropped the new engine in 2 months ago an ohm reading on all of them was fine.
cam sensor ? original 82,000 miles ? is their any test that i can run ? but at 32.99 might not be worth spending an hour messing with it to see if it is no good or not.

EddiE

i think the cam sensor is fairly simple. 99% of it is just black plastic. i wouldn't think there's much mechanical difference than the ford one.

I just did a quick KOEO and same two codes came up as always
111 = system pass
512 = keep alive memory i think this one is from using the EEC tuner ? i have had it since the EEC tuner was put in.
If i use the car tonight i'll put the KOER test after it is warmed up and see if i get any others.

Joe
Thanks....I have an auto zone and ford close by. ill go get one this weekend.
i took it over to the coast yesterday and it did it once on the way back....i guess it might be time for a new one.

No problem. If you still want it though, let me know, and I'll ship it right out to you (as a thanks for all the help you've given me!) :D

Thanks Joe
Maybe i'll make it out to the big ford meet next year and you can buy me a beer ;)
I will have to look thru my code book but im not sure if it will produce a code unless it has completly gone out.

How long do they last?
The one on my '89 was still the original one after 265,000 miles. :D
The one on my '90 went after 45,000 miles. :confused:
Both were original Ford parts.

Back