Front strut rod

94SCblack5speed

Here is a link to the mn12performance website that gives you directions and images of how to change the front strut rod bushings. mn12 The only problem is that my front strut rod is not the same as the one in this diagram. I need to get this done before i go in for inspection. Any suggestions would be appreciated

I don't know what is bad on your rods to fail inspection, but most likely the bushings to the lower control arm are bad. If you want to do a quick fix, I'd go to the local auto parts store and get a set of Moog or similar regular rubber bushings. You'll notice they are different from stock (improved) and you put a metal sleeve on the arm first and then slide the bushings on. You should be able to do this job by disconnecting the lower control arm ball joint and at worst, diconnecting the lower bolt on the shock assembly. This way you avoid having to re-align. Unless your outer bushings on the sub-frame are bad, I'd leave them alone, as getting those big nuts off can be quite a chore even with an air gun.
Good luck.

front strut rod

Yea thanks Jim i already have the bushings and everything i just wasnt sure about what i had to disconnect. I though i could just slide the rod out a little after taken off the two end bolts and moving the middle bolt back all the way. Big problem i got 2 of the three bolts to move but the last one wasnt going anywhere. I will follow your instructions but will i need to compress the spring in order to do this?>

No need to touch the springs, infact the whole shock assembly can be taken out of the way, by removing the big bottom bolt (thru the control arm) and the 3 small bolts on the shock tower (under the hood). Most people including myself had trouble with those 2 big nuts on the outer (sub-frame) end of the strut rod. So despite having an air gun I left my old bushings in place on both my '93 &' 94 SC when I re-built the suspension. To keep the strut rod from turning while you tighten the new inner bushings, you'll just need to put an open ended wrench on those flat spots on the rods.

front strut rod

I got the nut off the bolt of the lower shock assembly but the bolt is not moving. Do you have to mess with the pins or something in order to get the bolt out? Also anyone have and idea what size socket that bolt is? It seems like ive tried just about everything on there and each socket slips

The head of the long bolt that holds the shock assembly to the lower control arm is 18mm. However you won't get a good seating on it because it's very shallow, due to that locking tab (same problem exists on the upper control arm bolts). At worst you can break that tab off, just makes it a bit more difficult to torque it back up afterwards. Try some release oil on the bolt because over time they get frozen/rusted to the sleeve in the control arm bushing. Leave the nut on, flush with the end of the bolt and try to hammer it out. You could also put a small jack under the control arm to take a little of the weight off. Make sure when you put it all back together to use anti-sieze on the bolts. I have some spares if you damage that long bolt, only you'd have to wait for shipping time (Ford includes them with their replacement shock kit, but Tokico doesn't).

94SCblack5speed said:
I got the nut off the bolt of the lower shock assembly but the bolt is not moving. Do you have to mess with the pins or something in order to get the bolt out? Also anyone have and idea what size socket that bolt is? It seems like ive tried just about everything on there and each socket slips

I replied to your private message on Saturday, giving you my phone number if you need further help. For now, just find a suitable temporary bolt. If Ford doesn't list a reasonably priced replacement, I can send you a couple of my spares (just pay my postage).
Jim.

Back