A/C inline filter, where to install?

TBirdDriver

I'm going to put an inline A/C filter in my car.
Where does it go?
The type I'm getting will be a Ford springlock pancake style type. From what I've read the best location is on the
high pressure liquid line after the orifice tube.
Where is this located on a 1990 SC 5 speed?
What size line is it, 3/8" or 1/2"?

Note, that this info is only generated from my experence with my '90 five-speed. The orfice is in the steel section of the high pressure line. You should see the crimped area in the line directly under the compressor. The pressure line will run from the condensor coil and go straight to the evaporator area. My suggestion would be to get an A/C tech to do this for you. I had my accumilator and an orfice/filter installed for $80.00. I supplied the accumilator and he got the orfice kit for $20, and labor was $60.

Goodluck

After looking into it further, this is what I did. It doesn't make sense to put it after the orifice tube because the whole purpose of the filter is to catch any particles should the compressor fail, before it gets to the orifice tube / liquid line.
There is a 1/2" line that runs from the A/C compressor to the condensor (I think that's what it's called), in front of the radiator. If you look at the car, it is the line on top, right near the radiator. I put the filter in between these. That way if something should go wrong the debris won't get too far before being trapped.

TBirdDriver said:
There is a 1/2" line that runs from the A/C compressor to the condensor (I think that's what it's called), in front of the radiator. If you look at the car, it is the line on top, right near the radiator. I put the filter in between these. That way if something should go wrong the debris won't get too far before being trapped.
Thats is the correct place for exactly the reason you stated. You don't want old compressor crud to make it into the condensor and hence the Otube. be aware that the liquid line has the Otube built into it and it has a mesh like screen, but that "filter" is easily clogged with crud. The big filter is designed to catch the big pieces that will foul the condenser and the Otube.

Last edited:
Back