3g aftermarket Alternator install!

flynbrd

WOW I have never experienced a failing alternator like the one in my sc. The little bastard caused the car to run with nominal power which cause a whole host of problems. Such as weak spark, miss fires, computer codes, engine dying when turning, arc codes, detonation, etc. The alternator charged at above 3k rpm but under the car would run off the battery mostly. The problem didnt occur until I installed my silverstar headlights. During the day the car drove just fine but at night the headlights just killed the alternator and slowly drained the battery. Heres what I did to fix the problem

1. Got a new 3g alternator 200 amp from an awesome source on ebay. Paid only 160+ shipping.(with correct pulley)
2. Went to the auto yard and got 3 wire 3g plug from 92 taurus.
3. Grabbed another alternator charge wire off wreaked sc.
4. removed the old unit and install the 3g by milling(a lot of milling) the bottom back side of the mounting bracket and upper front near the idler pully.
5. Cut old sc plug off and matched up the colors off the 3g plug ; looped the strator wire back into the alternator.
6. Installed the extra charge wire for handling the increased amps.
7. Start the car run everything at max then take a voltage reading. 14.3v with everything on and at 750 rpms.

The sc runs awesome now. ! Total cost was under 185$

I have that same alternator for my Stang..Same guy maybe...However you know the SC has a 110 amp to begin with and the 3G uses more power to spin

Back