tire pressure question

Thomas95SC

I was wondering how much pressure you are suppose to put in your tires. My tires say 44psi max but are you suppose to that much in or less??

sonicman1634 said:
I was wondering how much pressure you are suppose to put in your tires. My tires say 44psi max but are you suppose to that much in or less??

44 psi max is just that. I usually keep mine anywhere from 35-40 for everyday driving.

you should inflate your tires to what the specs say on the pass. side door jamb. i think it's 32 front and rear. some tires need more or less depending on how they are constructed. if you fill them to 44 you will probably end up wearing them out on the insides.

The Ford placard on the door jamb (B pillar) says 30psi all round (60psi for the donut spare). However for best/even tire wear I've found that 32psi front and 28psi works best. That experience is on 3 different SC and over 300,000m

The front ones are 255/40/17 and the back ones are 255/45/17.The tire place said to keep them between 35 and 40ps cold.

You definitely DO NOT need to run that much pressure in them for the street. When I'm open-tracking my car, it only gets about 38 - 39 in the front, and 34 - 35 in the rear.

I'd recommend 35 max in the front, and about 32 in the rear. The car is front-heavy, so a bit higher pressure on the front will give you sharper steering response.

cheers,
Ed N.

Back