Idle problem (mechanic stumped) Any advice?

dbledown00

:) Hello everyone,
I am having an idleing problem with my 1991 s.c. When I start up the car my rpms race up to 1000 and sometimes 3000. The car runs great when it's being driven down the street but when you stop at a stoplight it dies. Anyone think it could be the IAC valve? I've had a bad IAC before but it never made my car stall out, it would just make a loud "clogged pipe" sound and make the rpms race. Mechanic has run all kinds of tests on the car and can't figure out what the problem is. Thanks and any advice would help. Tony

its the IAC valve dude, replace it with a GENUINE one from FORD only, all others from AUTOZONE, KRAGEN are incorrect. Dont drive ur car if its a AUTOMATIC. latez

The TPS could be out of Range as well...Check the voltage at the TPS before you go buying parts.

There are some write up s on this...Should be close to .95

Brad

I'm not completely familiar with the 89-93's, but do you get a check engine light? If so, then I would think you could run codes. Just my .02.

IAC won't throw a code.. there are no electronice there to tell the EEC if anything is wrong.

Unplug the TPS connector and run the engine.. but I sort of doubt thats the problem. TPS is really used for WOT and basic throttle position... unplug it. you will get a stored code (check engine light), but the car will run.

Back