3.55 vs. 3.73

scooby

i have an 89 sc it has mods and its a 5 speed i was wondering if i should go with a 3.55 or 3.73 what are the ups and downs i do drag race and i drive on the highway to !!!!! help me out here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!thanks
JUSTIN

yeah im not givin up that much top end for nothing !!!!!!!!!!! 3.27 ok sounds good thanks guys!!!

3.27 is stock for the auto and 2.73 for the 5 speed. Maxim did you say 110mph top speed for the 3.73 auto? How sure are you im looking at changing to 3.73 in my auto instead of 3.27 and im wondering what my top speed would be.

3.73's in an auto is the perfect combo He was talking 3.73's in a 5spd, which would make first gear so short it'd basicly be a 4spd lol. I dont know what top speed would be though, sorry.

I put 3.73s in my 5 speed. It has its ups and downs. Def great for off the line and stop light to stop light racing. With the low gearing in first, you don't have to really pull hard off the line and let the clutch out aggressively to really get moving.

I do a LOT of city driving, and my city mileage has gotten better.

If you have a well built motor with a lot of top end and a good rear that can handle the abuse and hook up, it would probably be a lot of fun.

But, being stock, my car does wind out a little fast considering I don't take it past 5K RPM. Would def. be too much for a stock or mild sc for the 1/4 mi.

Ira says 3.08's which means I'm putting ibn my 3.27's soon....Of course gearing in 89-93 and 94-95 transmissions are different

3.08s are a great choice for daily driver with city and highway driving. If you're racing the car, then get gears that will put you at the top of whatever gear you plan on crossing the traps with (3rd or 4th).

Basically you need to know tire height and transmission gearing to determine what Pablo said..Of course I build a street car to be fun on the street as I dont drive everyday at the track

Basically you need to know tire height and transmission gearing to determine what Pablo said..Of course I build a street car to be fun on the street as I dont drive everyday at the track

Now I find the 3.08's to be a great choice for both the street and the track. With stock tires on the street, and 27" ET's at the track, I have the choice of 3rd or 4th around town and 4th or 5th on the highway, depending on mood, and with the 3.08's I find that I am right on the power band at the traps.

As for 1st or 2nd around town, forget about it. On street tires it is just not possible to keep the car from going sideways when you want to go. But that's not gear related, and I just thought I would mention it.

But, like everything else around here, I guess YMMV.

Ira

As for 1st or 2nd around town, forget about it. On street tires it is just not possible to keep the car from going sideways when you want to go. But that's not gear related.

Ira

You got part of that right. It's 100% AR related.

{edit} For my part, stock gears are just fine. Spend your money on something else. JMO

for me I went with 327s its shortens the gears plenty and still moves on the highway, its got to 120 a lot quicker with the 327s I'll tell you that much and for what its worth unless I totally dumped the clutch it didnt spin a whole lot either

You got part of that right. It's 100% AR related.
Yea, silly me. I always forget about that. :p Well, it's not bad for a stock block I guess! :D

Oh yea, and I still think the 3.08's are still the way to go, but I will concede that some cars may need 3.27's depending on their top end. ;)

Ira

In my old '90 5-speed SC I went first with 3:73s, as previously stated, it was too much gear. It pretty much made first gear all but useless and tached really high at higher speeds. I later went with 3:55s as I raced alot at the track. This gave me my first gear back and made it accelerate really hard. I also saw my PRMs drop to somewhat normal at highway speeds. They worked great for me in the 5-speed car. I had 3:73s in my auto SC, perfect gear for the auto.

Back