Lightned Flywheel?

PilotYFZ

I have a 90 SC, and the teeth on the flywheel are all ground down. I was wondering if i could get a lighter flywheel and where. Also a shop was going to charge me $400 because you have to drop the tank to get to the drive line. Would it be hard to drop on your own.

I once heard some Honda guys talking about how they lost torque with lightened flywheels, they seemed pretty knowlegable and non-ricy. Does anyone else have any idea if this is true or not?

you can get the aluminum flywheel from www.supercoupeperformance.com or somewhere else...i forgot...hopefully someone will chime in on that one..

tranny is pretty easy to do. I just removed the bolts from the driveshaft connecting to the rear end. removed the bolts holding the rear end. by the way, I would suggest a jack or something to slowly move the rear end once you get the bolts out of it. 2 in the front 2 in the rear of the rear end...on top of that, i would recommend getting poly diff mounts from mn12performance.com . lower the rear end so that the rear end rests on the half-shafts w/ the half-shafts sitting on the subframe. there you have just enough room to pull the driveshaft over the rear end and out of the tranny and pull it out...hopefully it helps.

Stephen

Mcleod and Spec both offer lightened flywheels for our cars. I have the 13 Lb Mcleod and I love it, I got it through Summit for about $400.

Honda tech does not apply to these cars.

Andy 94SC said:
Mcleod and Spec both offer lightened flywheels for our cars. I have the 13 Lb Mcleod and I love it, I got it through Summit for about $400.

Honda tech does not apply to these cars.

We are running a Spec Aluminum Flywheel (for 11 inch clutch) on our SC race car. It is great. We got it straight from Spec for about the same as the McLeod. The engine revs more quickly, idles nicely, and the power is better (more transfer to the wheels through less rotating mass).

LM

blowmyv6 said:
a flywheel is a flywheel is a flywheel

Do any of you have dyno before/after results?

Not really. We did a lot of work to end up at 243 hp and 324 tq with no tune, on a stock bottom end. Dynojet Dyno

The dyno comparison might show a difference, but the real difference probably comes in stress related applications. As a road racing car, the Aluminum flywheel is an absolute must have (lots of accelerating from different RPM ranges). It also helps with wear and tear on engine, tranny, and rear end parts. Just think about the knees on a 250 lb 6 ft man vs. a 200 lb 6 ft man. Who is going to be able to move more quickly more often?

LM

Anyone who says you lose torque with a lightweight flywheel doesn't have a good grasp of physics. What Andy was saying is that just because Hondas need the extra momentum resulting from the inertia stored in the heavy flywheel to get moving, that it doesn't mean that the heavy flywheel gives them torque and since SC's don't need any "help" getting moving, all that inertia that was stored up in the flywheel ends up being a hinderance to acceleration rather than a help.

Or in otherwords, Hondatech doesn't apply to these cars. :p

XR7 Dave said:
Hondas need the extra momentum resulting from the inertia stored in the heavy flywheel to get moving, that it doesn't mean that the heavy flywheel gives them torque

Ahh... the answer I was looking for, Thanks XR7 Dave.

I have the McLeod 13lb flywheel in my SC and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

A heavy flywheel is not needed on this engine, get a lightweight one.

Jeramie

Back