code 54

blowmyv6

My check engine light keeps coming on periodically while driving so I had my friend read the codes the other night. He performed the test where you start the car and plug it in. He got a 74 and 77, but I read somewhere to ignore those. Today while I was getting my steering rack installed I had my mechanic drive it and run a test and he ended up getting this:

54 Intake Air Temperature (IAT) or Vane Air Temperature (VAT) signal high - IAT VAT

So I guess my question is, what could this be and how do I go about fixing it?

P.S. - on an interesting sidenote, my ARC's had stopped working while I had no working p/s (firm mode would only work for half a second) and now they're back to normal as soon as I got the new rack.

Last edited:
also, is this a do-this-now-or-more-****-is-going-to-break kind of problem or can it wait a while without damaging anything?

replace the IAT sensor its in the lower intercooler tube just before it connects to the plenum that goes to the intake manifold, also called a dingle berry sensor, you'll see why. i believe the basic # is 12a697 but can't remember. they collect oil and crap from pcv system.

Back