'95 cooling fan issues

mcate

Ok, my '95 SC auto was running real hot Friday. Temp needle was about 3/4 to the right, & the check gauges light came on. I turned the A/C off & the heater on, & got it out on the highway to get some air across the radiator. It cooled down to normal. I got it home, & the radiator "pull" fan wasn't working. Also, the pusher fan is seized up. Won't even spin by prying with a screwdriver. I also noticed that the fuse for it is blown, probably from when it seized. Anyway, the next morning I started the car up & the radiator fan came on & ran fine. I ordered a new motor for the pusher fan from Advance Auto & I will install it tomorrow. Not really sure how much it will affect things though. I've searched through & read a lot of threads on this, but haven't found anything definitive on the function of the pusher fan. My main question is whether the pull fan is a 2-speed or not. If it is, then maybe the fast speed windings in the motor are burned out. Or it might be the relay that controls it. If it's not a 2-speed fan, then is the pusher fan supposed to come on when the temps are above normal? I read the tech article on MN12 performance.com. This doesn't seem like too hard of a problem to figure out, just wondered if there's anyone out there who's gone through this on a '94 or '95.

Thanx in advance,
Mike

The stock '95 fan is 2 speed. The pusher fan comes on when the A/C, or the regular high speed fan is on.

I'm thinking I may have a problem with the high speed part of my main fan, either the motor or the relay that controls it. I'll get the new motor in for the pusher fan tomorrow & see what happens, see if the car still gets hot. When it was fairly hot Friday the main fan didn't run, & the A/C compressor was short cycling.

You can unplug the fan and run juice directly from the battery (carefully!) to test the fan. If you end up needing a fan, let me know, I'm no longer using mine with the MP FMIC.

Thanx Doug. I appreciate your offer. I should know more this afternoon when I install the new pusher fan motor. I've been reading all the electrical forum threads this morning, & there really seems to be a lot of different theories on how these fans relate. I'd love to find the ONE solid source that defines operation on this.

I don't know much about the fan(s) for my 95 (I haven't had a problem yet, knock-on-wood), but I just wanted to throw in that if your radiator has not been replaced in a while then that might further cause your overheating problem. I know they seem to go out on me every 6 or 7 years. But, it seems that mine always gets holes in it not really clog up. But, I do get it flushed every year or two. That probably helped.

Mcate...did you get a replacement for the PUSHER fan motor? If so, do u have a part #? I remember a while back there were a few members (from canada I think) that could not find a replacement for the pusher fan. They found some but the motor was very large and 'deep' for the plastic mounting piece, and it was very expensive. By the way, accordign to the 94 EVTM the pusher fan is a one speed fan. Wanting to know why there are three prongs on the thing i put current to the third and nothing happened, so its non functional. You should try taking the fan out and try to see if you can force it free. That happened to mine, took it out and it came free. While it was seized it kept blowing the fuse like it happened to you.

DLF...are you sure that the pusher fan comes on with the AC and hi speed fan? I have checked the engine comp. with the AC on and the pusher fan does not function...and I really have never heard my hi-speed fan work. I dont let my engine get that hot.

I personally have found that with the lo-speed fan the car will stay pretty much cool...and in case the temp starts creeping...i flip the switch to the pusher fan and that makes temps go down to normal. Alone the pusher fan does squat, but in conjunction with the regular 'big' fan it works great.

CaifanSC said:
DLF...are you sure that the pusher fan comes on with the AC and hi speed fan? I have checked the engine comp. with the AC on and the pusher fan does not function...and I really have never heard my hi-speed fan work. I dont let my engine get that hot.

Well....

My low speed fan comes on at 180 and my high speed at 190 (although now I'm only using a single speed fan (too small :mad: ) with the MP FMIC). The pusher comes on at 190, but I'm not enrtirely positive about the A/C, I'll check tonight.

Update: I just got back from Advance Auto, & sure enough, the motor they ordered was the wrong one. Their motors come from a company called Factory Air & the one they ordered me was a 35170, which most likely is for the puller fan. The (apparant) correct part # is 35132, which is the only other one they list. However, they can't get it. The 35170 looked as if it would bolt up, but was too deep, & the fan blade wouldn't have attached correctly either. Anyway, I just called Car Quest & 35132 crosses over to their 218930, which I had them order. Should be in in the morning. The original Ford unit had Siemans on the case, so that might be a good place to look next if the Car Quest model isn't right. Stay tuned for further updates..........

Mike

Replacing just the fan motor?

mcate said:
Update: I just got back from Advance Auto, & sure enough, the motor they ordered was the wrong one. Their motors come from a company called Factory Air & the one they ordered me was a 35170, which most likely is for the puller fan. The (apparant) correct part # is 35132, which is the only other one they list. However, they can't get it. The 35170 looked as if it would bolt up, but was too deep, & the fan blade wouldn't have attached correctly either. Anyway, I just called Car Quest & 35132 crosses over to their 218930, which I had them order. Should be in in the morning. The original Ford unit had Siemans on the case, so that might be a good place to look next if the Car Quest model isn't right. Stay tuned for further updates..........

Mike

I have a '94 SC with cooling problems also. I found a replacement Seimens fan motor at NAPA. However, I cannot see how to disassemble the fan motor from the fan blade and shroud without tearing the blade up. The fan blade seems to be press fit on the motor shaft. Ford wants $500 for the whole assembly. Has anyone been successful in replacing just the motor and reusing the fan blade and shroud?

Steven

I have mine apart right now. Took a little while to get the fan off the motor, but it came off. After you get the clip off, just pinch the end of the shaft with a pair of vice grips to hold it steady, & turn the fan back & forth while pulling on it. Mine eventually worked loose.
Update #2 - I ordered a fan from Autozone for $69.99, & it should be in Friday. They call it a single speed fan, part # PM92020. The one I previously ordered from Car Quest is $140.00! I think it'll be worth waiting a few days to save $70.00!

Update #3 - While waiting for the fan motor that's supposed to get here tomorrow from Autozone, I decided to do a little swapping. I took the pusher fan from my other '95 & installed it. It runs, but not really very fast. The main pull fan runs fast when the car is 1st started, but slow when the car is hot. My temp gauge was just now about 3/4 of the way over to the right, but the pull fan runs slow. This doesn't make much sense to me, I thought it was supposed to be the other way around. I also swapped out the relay located in fron of the air filter box, but the symptoms are the same.
Any ideas?

mcate said:
Update #3 - While waiting for the fan motor that's supposed to get here tomorrow from Autozone, I decided to do a little swapping. I took the pusher fan from my other '95 & installed it. It runs, but not really very fast. The main pull fan runs fast when the car is 1st started, but slow when the car is hot. My temp gauge was just now about 3/4 of the way over to the right, but the pull fan runs slow. This doesn't make much sense to me, I thought it was supposed to be the other way around. I also swapped out the relay located in fron of the air filter box, but the symptoms are the same.
Any ideas?

Is all the wiring stock and unmolested? It sounds like the high/low wires are switched.

I was thinking that, too, but it just started doing this Friday. The car is completely stock, & I've owned it for almost 4 years.

rsteven said:
I have a '94 SC with cooling problems also. I found a replacement Seimens fan motor at NAPA. However, I cannot see how to disassemble the fan motor from the fan blade and shroud without tearing the blade up. The fan blade seems to be press fit on the motor shaft. Ford wants $500 for the whole assembly. Has anyone been successful in replacing just the motor and reusing the fan blade and shroud?

Steven

After you remove the clip on the end of the fan motor shaft, use a file to clean up the end of the shaft under where the clip was. The fan blade should slip right off with a little pulling.

mcate said:
Update #2 - I ordered a fan from Autozone for $69.99, & it should be in Friday. They call it a single speed fan, part # PM92020. The one I previously ordered from Car Quest is $140.00! I think it'll be worth waiting a few days to save $70.00!

If the fan from AZ doesn't work, try NAPA. Part # BK 6551797. It shows as the fan for a 4.6, but they're the same. I just installed one a couple of weeks ago and it's working fine. Price was $85.77 and it's a two speed fan.

mcate said:
DMS825, is that NAPA part # for the pusher fan or the puller fan?

That's the two speed puller fan. NAPA puller fan motor

Sorry, just re-read your post and realized you were looking for a pusher fan. NAPA also has one of those listed NAPA pusher fan motor, but I don't have any experience with them. The only time I've noticed my pusher fan on was when when the puller fan wasn't working.

Last edited:
dms825 said:
After you remove the clip on the end of the fan motor shaft, use a file to clean up the end of the shaft under where the clip was. The fan blade should slip right off with a little pulling.

My fan blade is rusted to the motor shaft as it took a bath in coolant. I had the presence of mind to test the fan motor against the new motor. It didn't have a short as I had suspected. So, I hooked it up the ground terminal and then each of the positive terminals individually and both connectors ran the motor. So, the motor was good afterall.

Ah, so on to the good part. My cooling system was exhibiting the same problems with being unable to control the temperature despite having replaced the ECT sensor from the original Motorcraft part to a Borg-Warner WT381. The computer finally reported that the sensor was reading max voltage. So, this time I went to Ford and purchased the $40 part that I knew would be absolutely calibrated to my PCM computer. Everything runs like it should now. Either I had a bad new part or an incorrect part! Does anybody have experience with this? Is the Borg-Warner WT381 a direct replacement for an ECT on a 94 SC? Maybe O'Reilly's Auto Parts has an incorrect cross reference in their database? From other threads, I think alot of people are having problems with ECT sensors that do not have a calibration that matches the powertrain control module

Steven

Update # 4 - Still waiting for the new pusher fan motor to arrive at Autozone, but I have the fan from my other '95 in the car. I put a 180 degree t-stat in last night. Today, I decided that since my pull fan wouldn't kick to high speed as the car gets hotter & hotter, I might as well try to figure out why. Just went to the store & bought a temperature sensor & installed it. Now the fan kicks to a higher speed as the temp raises, but the needle on my gauge still gets past 3/4 of the way to the right, past m. This car has always run a little hotter than my other one, but I'm still alarmed by how far the needle is to the right. I'm also wondering how accurate the factory gauge is.

Back