PDA

View Full Version : Turbo

Callmewhitexr7
06-22-2004, 01:26 AM
OK my friend has one of the 04 SRT-4's we put a boost controller on it and made it burry the gauge well over 20 psi. I was just wondering how safe it is to run this much boost on the motor. Will the turbo start to whine like the old non ball bearing turbos? Or is it safe for the turbo to run this much boost just not safe for the engine? We noticed a very very big difference with the controller but turned it down in fear of messing up the turbo or even the motor. So any information would be appriciated. Thanks

NICK

darkstar_one
06-22-2004, 02:03 AM
at 20 PSI in those tiny motors your just asking to blow your head gaskets. Be carefull.

fivaxis
06-22-2004, 02:17 AM
Those motors are very strong. However at 20psi you better have some high octane fuel or it will detonate.

CaifanSC
06-22-2004, 09:29 AM
I've heard that those srt4's came with weak hg's too. I've read in a couple sites that they're blowing gaskets left and right. 20psi is ALOT of boost!

SC UL8R1990
06-22-2004, 09:34 AM
i dont think the headgasket design is weak on the new neon motors. just sounds like alot of abuse people are putting on them/ As stated above, 20psi is alot without a really high octane fuel :eek: Detonation and extremely high engine/cylinder temperatures can cause pre-mature headgasket failure.

just thought that i would add that they are cool little cars ;)

p.s.- as for the old ball bearing turbo sound.......you really dont get that in the newer turbos. It's more of a high pitched hiss when its boosting.

BTW- What kind of blow off valve is he using at 20psi !? Its gotta be strong to stop 20psi from leaking during spool up:cool:

ThunderRoad
06-22-2004, 10:02 AM
i dont think the headgasket design is weak on the new neon motors. just sounds like alot of abuse people are putting on them/ As stated above, 20psi is alot without a really high octane fuel :eek: Detonation and extremely high engine/cylinder temperatures can cause pre-mature headgasket failure.

just thought that i would add that they are cool little cars ;)

p.s.- as for the old ball bearing turbo sound.......you really dont get that in the newer turbos. It's more of a high pitched hiss when its boosting.

BTW- What kind of blow off valve is he using at 20psi !? Its gotta be strong to stop 20psi from leaking during spool up:cool: :eek: :eek: HE WAS RUNNING 11.19,S .....118 MPH :confused: WITH 24LBS AND A LAP TOP :) :) FULL CAGE :cool: :cool: ON THE STREET :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I WAS INPRESSED :D :D TIME SLIP BLOWN UP ON WINDOW :( :( FOR ALL TO SEEEEEEE :mad: :mad:

Callmewhitexr7
06-22-2004, 12:32 PM
Well he don't even have the controller on it right now because of our concerns. And he don't have a blow off valve. How high of an octane does he need to run? 91? 93? 110? Thanks for the input.

NICK

David Neibert
06-22-2004, 01:36 PM
:eek: :eek: HE WAS RUNNING 11.19,S .....118 MPH :confused: WITH 24LBS AND A LAP TOP :) :) FULL CAGE :cool: :cool: ON THE STREET :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I WAS INPRESSED :D :D TIME SLIP BLOWN UP ON WINDOW :( :( FOR ALL TO SEEEEEEE :mad: :mad:

Freddie,

Don't you think your getting a little carried away with emotiocons ?...I can't tell if your YELLING, eeking , confused , cool , sarcastic or mad about a paticular topic. Doubling up on them makes it even more confounding.

I would like to respond to your post, but I can never understand what the heck your saying :o

David

ThunderRoad
06-22-2004, 01:50 PM
Freddie,

Don't you think your getting a little carried away with emotiocons ?...I can't tell if your YELLING, eeking , confused , cool , sarcastic or mad about a paticular topic. Doubling up on them makes it even more confounding.

I would like to respond to your post, but I can never understand what the heck your saying :o

David
:eek: I guess it was that he could go so fast with hardly any mods other than boost and a laptop :confused: and we do so much to get our performance :mad: is that better??? :(

David Neibert
06-22-2004, 02:38 PM
:eek: I guess it was that he could go so fast with hardly any mods other than boost and a laptop :confused: and we do so much to get our performance :mad: is that better??? :(

Much better...now I understand exactly what your saying. I hope you know I'm just kidding with you about the emotiocons.

BTW, I have a problem with the excessive use of periods......... :p

David

SC UL8R1990
06-22-2004, 03:44 PM
i like freddys use of emoticons, you always know its him! :D :D :confused: :o :eek: :cool:

Glenn S
06-22-2004, 07:28 PM
If you have to ask about the boost level then you shouldn't do it. 20psi isn't alot of boost if the fuel system is ready for it.. I routinely run well over 25psi on my 88TC. As long as the fuel supply(and octane) is up to the task you won't have any problems. I would be willing to bet the fuel pump and regulator will have to be upgraded to run over 20psi.