Reason for no spark ?

blksc

I have posted that i recently bought a 91SC. When i tried cranking it i found that the ignition system didnt delivery a spark. I checked the balancer bolt and its nice and snug and the balancer itself looks to be in good condition. When i tore the motor down i found spark plug wires that were 'welded' together and corroded so that when i pull them off of the spark plugs only the rubber shielding came off. I also found that the plugs in the car had been caked up with gook, and didnt look like they had been changed in ages. Would this keep the ignition system from firing ? Im wondering if the bird will be clipped by an ignition problem after i finish the head gasket job.

You might have a couple of dead cylinders with foul plugs and decayed wires, but that shouldn't cause no-spark. The coil pack has 3 separate coil circuits. Certainly some of them would work and the engine would sputter when trying to crank it over. You should pull codes to see what the EEC thinks; don't guess just yet.

Obviously though you need new plugs and wires. Search this forum for tips on how to install them. I'd recommend use of anti-sieze on the threads, and dielectric grease inside the new plug wire boots, and go with the Autolite plats or double plats.. avoid Bosch plats or splitfires or any non platinum plug unless you like to change the plugs every 20,000 miles.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply i have installed them before. Just wanted some clues to what would cause the car not to spark at all. When i get it together i will try and read codes, or note upshift light.

Back