Nitrous Junkies,will i need Colder Plugs?

SC UL8R1990

After i complete my exhaust im looking at putting some giggly gas on my SC. Ive done some reading and it sounds like a more power fuel pump and a fuel regulator are good ideas. But i never read anything about the sparks plugs. Do i need to run colder plugs or gap them differently?

thanks

I would run colder plugs and also cut (dremel) the electrode back 1/8" an inch to reduce any glow spots on the plug.

Yeah, you want to run a colder plug with the nitrous. I run autolite 103's in my car which I think are two stages colder, they should work fine. What kit and what shot are you gonna run? I live in Cleveland so if you need any help let me know. Ryan

SC UL8R1990 said:
After i complete my exhaust im looking at putting some giggly gas on my SC. Ive done some reading and it sounds like a more power fuel pump and a fuel regulator are good ideas. But i never read anything about the sparks plugs. Do i need to run colder plugs or gap them differently?

thanks

Walter,

Here is a link to an article written by Wayne Ing that will answer most of your questions about running nitrous on an SC.

http://www.sccoa.com/sccoo/Faq/nitrousoxide.htm

BTW, I'm using standard heat range NGK Iriduims (gapped to .040) mainly because they work fine for daily driving or using nitrous.

IMO, the three main things to consider when using nitrous are, (1) Make sure you have enough fuel to support the amount your going to spray. (2) Retard the timing 2 degrees for every 50 hp you spray. (3) Test the system on the dyno with wide band o2 to insure you have the proper A/F ratio before using it.

David

How do you go about retardingthe timing on this car other than eec tuner?

I read something about unplugging something to retard a few degrees, would this be an option for nitrous for an evening at the dragstrip with say a 75hourse shot O nitrous?

Why wouldn't the kock sensor take care of this?

David Neibert said:
Walter,

Here is a link to an article written by Wayne Ing that will answer most of your questions about running nitrous on an SC.

http://www.sccoa.com/sccoo/Faq/nitrousoxide.htm

BTW, I'm using standard heat range NGK Iriduims (gapped to .040) mainly because they work fine for daily driving or using nitrous.

IMO, the three main things to consider when using nitrous are, (1) Make sure you have enough fuel to support the amount your going to spray. (2) Retard the timing 2 degrees for every 50 hp you spray. (3) Test the system on the dyno with wide band o2 to insure you have the proper A/F ratio before using it.

David

Last edited:
I beleive if you unplug the octane sensor(not sure if that's acurate terminology) that it will retard 2 degrees? im not too sure. I read wayne ings article a while ago. im going to invest in a set of headers, a better exhaust,fuel pump, and fuel regulator before i even think about nitrous. Sounds like an eec tuner wouldnt be a bad plan either. Im planning on running a Zex 50 shot or an NX 50shot. 60% of me wants to go with the zex kit, %40 to the NX Kit. Only because ive heard horror stories of solenoids sticking open.

ill keep reading around to learn a bit more about everyones nitrous experiences. But from what ive read so far, the SC takes nitrous very well if you use it wisely.

I'm using a custom chip to pull timing, but you can also retard the timing by about 4 degrees by pulling the octane plug. (pic below)

If it's hitting the knock sensor you are losing power, and keep in mind that the knock sensor can only do so much. Even with it working properly you can still destroy your engine.

octane.jpg

David

fastsc92 said:
does the plug retard it by 4 deg all the time...or only at WOT??

I don't know....but I'm guessing WOT, because that the only time we really need the high octane fuel. There are several ways to simulate pulling the plug....wire a switch...fuel pressure switch, manifold pressure switch ect..

David

well i just asked because when i pulled the plug and had a timing light hooked to the motor...there was no change at idle.

fastsc92 said:
well i just asked because when i pulled the plug and had a timing light hooked to the motor...there was no change at idle.

Would retarding the timing really be an issue if you're using racing fuel only when hittig the bottle??? Speaking in terms of the smaller dosses, the 100 shot being the max?

i guess it all depends. You're increasing the cylinder pressure by a large amount and more heat comes from that. If you're running 26* advance at WOT, there is a big chance for detonation.

Back