Front suspension Identification assistance

Digitalchaos

I am attempting to ID various parts on my front suspension near the wheels.

First at what I believe is the lower control arm, there are attached at the wheel two greaseable fittings. One is slightly above and forward, the other slighty lower and rearward of the first. I believe the one closer to the rear & ground is a lower balljoint, and the first one is a tierod end. Then there are greasable tierod ends?

Next, above and behind the wheels is the upper control arm where the upper balljoint exists? Are these balljoints fixed by replacing the entire upper control arm as a whole, or can they be replaced individually? The reason I ask is because I have been hearing occasional suspension noise when the nose dives (braking) while turning, and the boots on these items indicates they are original and dry of grease.

Thanks for any help..

Sounds like you've got it handled. And yes the upper ball joint is serviced as part of the upper arm.

Oh, sometimes worn tension strut bushings will allow metal-to-metal contact on the lower arm and cause a groan during stops. But if the dust boots on any of the joints are bad then those joints can also cause noises and need to be replaced.

Back