help with motor

Thunder427

i just got a 94 cougar XR7 with a 3.8 N/A for free but the engines knocking... I am planning on probably swapping the engine for a supercoupe 3.8 even though its tough to find them... or a 4.6 V8 but i was wondering do they make bigger better superchargers for these or what ? how do most guys get more powers out of the SC 3.8s ?? thanks... lemme know

they are in the process of doing a whipple, for the 3.8 sc in place of the eaton M90, but you can get porting services that are around $1,000 from magnum powers, or if you get the 4.6litre u can just buy a procharger or a vortec blower. check out www.supercoupeperformance.com

Not trying to throw a wet blanket on your ideas, just some realism. It is very costly and difficult to swap a SC engine into a N/A application. Almost everything in the car has to be changed. Wire harness, EEC, radiator to name just a few. Then you have to make sure you have the intercooler and tubes. Then the AOD is weaker and the diff is only 7.5". The easiest thing to do would be one of the Mustang 3.8 blower applications like Vortech. If you are bound to make the SC swap, find a SC/XR7 parts car so you have a source of all the stuff you'll need. Honestly, you'd be better off cost wise to start with a SC because you'll have more money invested when you're done even starting with a free car. John

Back