sc in the 12's?

91notchSR7

I am looking into getting a supercoupe as a daily driver. I dont know much about them and was wondering how hard and how much money it is to get them in to the 12's? Also what is the desired year? I like the look of the 89 but if there is any performance difference in certin years i would go for those.

89-91 THUNDERBIRD SC COMPLICATED EXHAUST SETUP
92-95 THUNDERBIRD SC BETTER EXHAUST SETUP
94-95 THUNDERBIRD SC ABOUT 20-40 MORE HORSES THAN 89-93
94-95 THUNDERBIRD SC AUTOMATICS DO NOT HAVE LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL
89-93 THUNDERBIRD SC ALL HAVE REAR LOCKING DIFFERENTIALS

TO GET TO 12'S ur most likely going to dump like 5gs into it.

Fully rebuilt transmission
Real Cold Air Intake
Bigger Fuel Pump
Bigger Injectors
Bigger MAFs
Bigger Throttle Body
Intercooler Fan
Open Exhaust
Ported Exhaust Manifolds
Rebuilt Supercharger
Overdrive SC Pulley 10%
Magnum Powers Intercooler and Intake Plenums
Rebuilt Engine
Underdrive Pulleys
Lightweight Pulleys from Supercoupe Innovations
A/C Delete

Last edited:
or...
get an older 5spd car- $3,000
buy a whipple- $2500
injectors and fuel pump- $250
front mount intercooler setup- $500 (custom made) or $1200 (magnum powers)
exhaust- $500
slicks- $250

I believe this will put you very close to 12's if not in them.

what about a smaller pulley, cold air and exhaust. where would that get me? would i need to get a chip or dyno tune? Thanks for all the info, this is the only place i can find some. Main thing is i want to be able to keep up with ls1's. Im going to try to get a 94-95 5-speed preferiably black. My dad has a 03 cobra and these remind me of a bigger toned down version that still has the blower wine :D

I would get a 94-95 and start from there:O) Auto preferablyi fyour looking to go fast.. Look on the site for beginner mods but without getting into the motor 12's arnt all that easy without a larger initial investment

A reliable daily driven 12second SC is not going to be too hard, but it is going to cost some $$.

It doesn't matter what year you go with because the parts which were upgraded over the years aren't going to be used anyhow.

I would not bother with an auto because you are going to be rebuilding/upgrading it to the tune of a couple grand. Not worth it IMO.

A stock 5spd with a decent clutch will handle 12's all day long and still drive home at the end of the day.

You will need:

A good exhaust.

A good blower. Either an AR alone or a modified Eaton with every intake upgrade you can buy. Minimum boost level of 15psi.

A big IC will help the car to be more consistant and make it a 12 second STREET performer and not just an iced down track performer.

Ported heads and a cam upgrade would be a good idea but not totally necessary if you go with an AR blower. This mod will let you make your goal with less bost though which will result in a more consistant and reliable 12 seconds.

Fuel system upgrades.

In any case a 12 second car will need to be tuned.

Prices will vary, shop around.

Just to note a 94-95 comes with a better blower slightly larger injectors and a slightly better bottom end. Wheel hop is a problem for 5 speeds on the street. 93-95 have more clearence for a better exhaust through the gas tank area. 94-95 I also believe have a better ratio on the 5 speed transmissions as well as on the automatics. All SC's tend to run about the same 1/4 times for all years stick or auto. 94 autos(maybe 95's) with traction control have a non posi diff. Thats a big problem that needs to be taken care of immediatly if you go that route.

Whatever you do you can make a 12 sex SC..All the parts are their,,,It wont be easy though..And it wont be cheap.

It wont be easy though..
Who says? You can run 12's with off-the-shelf parts anymore.

I suggested a 5spd because it's much cheaper than building an auto that will stand up. All you need to control wheel hop is a set of ET streets for the track. You might even be able to run 12's with a stock clutch in which case the tranny doesn't need to cost you anything. No way on earth a stock auto will hold up to that.

:p

Ive had stock AOD autos hold up that well in lighter cars..No experience in an SC...

Dave,

Easy is what we make of it. I can rebuild a motor, or even do a head swap or a cam change in an SC...I dont consider it easy though..Even though I am capble of doing it..

Perhaps you consider that easy..I dont think an average SC'er would.

Hell I dont consider a plug change easy even though I can do it:O)

Back