intercooler fan(s)

Blownaway

Just wondering if anyone has noticed a difference between the cooling efficency of an 8" intercooler fan and a 10" intercooler fan.
I'm ready to by one or the other and thought that I would get some input first.
Wondering if a 10" would be effective since it would not cover the sides of the intercooler.
In other words, would it be worth the trouble of making it fit?

Last edited:
my 8" fits perfect .10" will hang over 1" on both sides.i went with the perma cool brand.it made a hell of a difference.i use to couldn't touch the ic tubes or top after running the car couple of minutes but now i can.you will feel a diffence in the car too.

Last edited:
8" vs. the "Big 10"

Blownaway said:
Just wondering if anyone has noticed a difference between the cooling efficency of an 8" intercooler fan and a 10" intercooler fan.
Wondering if a 10" would be effective since it would not cover the sides of the intercooler.
In other words, would it be worth the trouble of making it fit?

Here's what I did.
(1st.) bought the $60 IC Fan kit from mn12performance. Great wireing kit, but only a 440 cfm 8" fan.
(2nd.) Then I measured the thickness of the fan.
(3rd.) Then I looked for 10" fans that were the same thickness.
(4th.) I found a 10" 900 cfm fan in either Jegs or P.A.W. (can't remember which)
(5th.) Yeah, it hangs over the edges of the IC a little, but that's fixable. Just use some sheet metal & make some spacers to cover the part that hangs over. You can pop rivet them onto the plastic fan housing. Then all 900 cfm will be pulled through the IC.

Oh Yeah, the fan makes a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. Cold Air is Powerful Air!!!!

68COUGAR

Last edited:
Just fyi...

I just ordered the 8" perma cool from jegs. Summit was out of stock on it and not expecting it until may. Jegs had it in stock...

It is suppose to be an 800CFM unit...

IC fan on/off

I have installed the 8" Perma-Cool IC fan to come on with ignition. Has anyone seen a need to install a thermo probe snap switch to turn fan on a certain temp? If so, what temp did you decide on? I was going to install a 185 deg. but haven't decided if it is even needed.
Have most people just been going with ignition on?
Later

dbd said:
I have installed the 8" Perma-Cool IC fan to come on with ignition. Has anyone seen a need to install a thermo probe snap switch to turn fan on a certain temp? If so, what temp did you decide on? I was going to install a 185 deg. but haven't decided if it is even needed.
Have most people just been going with ignition on?
Later

Hey guys, mine just came in!

According to the guys at MN12 performance in that link say that it is meant to be left on all key-on...

Got it mounted to the IC, but I havn't wired it up, I am kinda worried about tapping into that ignition wire. I want to know where else I could pull it from?

I'm kinda affraid that using one of those wire taps there will lead to corrosion. Mine is a 35th, and this is the onyl bolt on that I have... thus far... I kinda hate to tie into the wiring...

I also wonder if there may be a problem degrading that ignition signal...

I tied directly into an ignition source on my truck for something, can't remeber what, and was told by a few guys it wasn't a good idea....

Any different suggestions? I do want it on all the time, and don't want to worry with a switch...

Did ya'll use the zipties???? I just removed the battery and used the zip-ties with the foam pads... Those ties were tight in the fins!

A few questions about an IC fan come to my mind that I would also like more insight on.

For one, is it not possible that at high speed (55+) a fan installed behind the intercooler could actually interfere with airflow through the intercooler?

Also, is it possible the air flowing from these high speed fans could actually be disturbing the normal flow patterns of air through the engine bay?

And one last thing; I know with coolant there is a certain amount of time warm coolant must be in contact with the cool air for heat transfer to occur. Does this apply with air to air to the extent that we should be worried about having so much airflow through the IC that it actually doesn't have time to cool the air charge as much?

Thanks..

Back