It's new headlight switch time

ThunderDave

I'm getting ready to replace the headlight switch on my 91 due to the blinking problem. I checked with both AdvanceAuto and AutoZone and they say they have the switch for my car in stock. Both places are around $11.00. Is this switch as good as one that I might get from Ford? Has anyone used a headlight switch from either?

David

my headlights use to go off and on.but it was my turn signal switch.use to have to jiggle the turn signal switch to get them to come back on.both my sho and sc screwed up and i've replaced both of them.haven't had problem since.

the multifunction

switch is fine. I can jiggle the headligt switch when the start to flicker and they will come back on, they just don't stay on. So I'm driving down the road at 3 in the morning with one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the headlight switch, jiggling it trying to keep the lights on. I'm glad I have the aod.

I can switch to high beam and they'll stay on, but when I go back to low beam, they start to flicker again.

David

turning them off and on will work too, but it is ur headlight switch, and mine was like 20 from my local parts store, and it should be just as good as Ford, and Ford will prolly charge you $15 more, unless you can get a hell of a discount. but id just buy that one fro 11$ thats a really good price, and its easy to install, the hardest part is getting that giant connector off

Replacement switches (whether the headlamp or the multi-purpose) is only a temporary solution. Because too much amperage is passing thru the stock wiring, especially if the fog lights are also on, the switches & wiring will eventually fail. The solution is an aftermarket wiring harness with relays like the one sold by Competition Lighting. You can find more details by searching the topic on this forum.

switched!!!

I got the one from Advance Auto and you are right Keith, the hardest part wa getting that big connector off. I have already got the fog lights wired independant of the headlights. I've read about the voltage problem and I'll be getting that wiring harness soon too. Thanks for the info Jim.

David

The Comp Limited harness is nice.
That's the good thing I have to say about them.

Now, the people (I think its a husban/wife team) owning it are complete morons. And I say that with all respect to them.

After installed mine, I had the Fog Lamps set to ON, therefore only the high beams would come on when I turned the switch to highbeams.
I called them to ask, thinking it was a bad harness. They were very indifferent to my problem. The only thing he offered wes to send me a new one.

After taking a "Step back", I realized the Fog Lamps were on, and switched them off. As soon as I did that, low and behold, all four headlamps came on.

I would have thought they know how the harness was designed, (I presume it has something to do with DOT standards, where you cannot have High Beams and fog lamps on at the same time), and would have mentioned that.

Cliff notes:
Competition Wiring Harness = Good
People at competion = Pinheads.

I bought the ford one for some reason and it cost me 45 bucks. I had the same problem and i think the old on burnt something because part of my wiring harness is all burnt.

i thought i got my hand stuck in my dash trying to pry the connector of the headlight switch. but i got out alive, with no lost limbs or casualties. So all in all, it was a good install. It would have been better if i had my mechanix gloves then.

mechanix gloves = best $15 spent besides the sccoa membership :)

NCredSC said:
I got the one from Advance Auto and you are right Keith, the hardest part wa getting that big connector off. I have already got the fog lights wired independant of the headlights. I've read about the voltage problem and I'll be getting that wiring harness soon too. Thanks for the info Jim.

David
I used to have a lot of problems with my headlights blinking out and it was always the turn signal switch. I have gone thru about three of them. When I changed the switch I noticed the plug in from the harness looked burn as if it was getting real hot. I can't remember if I was using the fog lights a lot during this time. The last switch has lasted a long time, but I have not been using my foglights a lot. I was wondering if you could go into detail about the voltage problem with these cars. How did you wire your fog lights independent of the headlights. A lot of people don't know, but FORD had a recall on the headlight switch. They replaced mine when I took my car in for another problem(and did it on their own).

Last edited:
fog

I disconnected them behind the lights where the plug is at. Stripped the wires and spliced in new wire. Ran the wire from the right side light to the left side light and joined them together. From there, I ran them inside to the fog light switch. One being a positive or hot and the other a negative or ground. You'll need to cut the existing wires at the switch. One is the wire coming in from the lights, one is the wire used to go to the fuse box for power and the other is a ground wire. I had to do a trial and error to find which wire on the switch was for what.

Now I can run the fog lights anytime, even with brights, but I usually don't. And they have no effect on the headlight system now. I'll be getting a comp harness soon. Thanks for all the info on it that y'all posted. Walter, I'm glad you didn't loose a limb in your ordeal. ;)

David

Last edited:
Back